• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
Star Vase
D

Star Vase

• Dereck
The vase is made from African Rosewood and Panga Panga with a Cape Beech feature ring which has Ironwood and Lacewood inlays. It is 230mm diameter and 150mm high. It was my first attempt making the star pattern. Please refer to my comment below on the use of the lathe-mounted router to ensure that the faces of the feature ring run "true" to the centre axis of the lathe before gluing on the veneer and Lacewood or Ironwood pieces. Details of the Lathe-Mounted Router can be found in the Jigs & Tools Forum of WTP under the Woodturning Forum.
Reactions: Lee Cole
Not bad for a first attempt at the star pattern. The symmetrical placing of the 'eyes' is excellent. How did you get that placed so well and symmetrically?

D
Hi Jan, thanks for the complement. The "eyes" were made by gluing two layers of veneer and a thin (5mm thick) piece of Lacewood or Ironwood to each segment of the feature ring after the ring was attached to the bottom two rings. Using this process. it is very important that each segment face (before turning) of the feature ring runs true to the centre axis of the lathe. That means the distance from each face to the centre axis must be exactly the same. I used my lathe mounted router to skim the face of each feature ring segment before attaching the two veneer strips and Lacewood or Ironwood to the feature ring. Refer to the explanation of the Lathe-mounted Router in the Jigs & Tools Forum in WTP.

Well done on the alignment Dereck; your wood selection for your eyes is cool. I'm debating myself regarding the height of the throat; love the overall piece!

Media information

Category
Segmented Turnings
Added by
Dereck
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device