• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Woodturner PRO fails with "A problem caused the program to stop working" message.

Lloyd Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen an error where Woodturner PRO starts once, but when restarted, it fails to run and the message "A problem caused the program to stop working" is displayed with Cancel as the only option. The operating system was Vista, but since the software has been installed on Vista countless times, it is hard to say why this occurred. Making a change to the Compatibility option fixed the problem and could apply to XP, Vista or Windows 7 using the following steps:

1. Right click on Woodturner PRO in the start menu and then click on properties.
  2. Click on the compatibility tab.
  3. Under "Compatibility mode", select the check box which reads as "Run the program in compatibility mode for" and in the drop down menu select Windows Vista or XP to run the program in older version of operating system.
  4. Click on Apply and then Ok.

If you should happen to experience this glitch, please let me know as I'd sure like to see what is causing it to happen.

Mr. Johnson,
I just installed the Woodturner Pro bundle on my computer "Windows 7". Lamination Pro and 3D Design Pro worked fine, but Woodturner Pro will not start. It doesn't even get to the authorization code. I have it set to run as administrator, but this dod not help. If you would like to use me and my computer to troubleshoot this, I am glad to help. I have a lot of free time so that is not a problem.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Kirk

This is what was sent to me to fix the situation. It worked! Try it. This came from LloydI Johnson.I have seen an error where Woodturner PRO starts once, but when restarted, it fails to run and the message "A problem caused the program to stop working" is displayed with Cancel as the only option. The operating system was Vista, but since the software has been installed on Vista countless times, it is hard to say why this occurred. Making a change to the Compatibility option fixed the problem and could apply to XP, Vista or Windows 7 using the following steps:1.Right click on Woodturner PRO in the start menu and then click on properties.2.Click on the compatibility tab.3.Under "Compatibility mode", select the check box which reads as "Run the program in compatibility mode for" and in the drop down menu select Windows Vista or XP to run the program in older version of operating system.4.Click on Apply and then Ok.

Mr. Blackwell
Thanks for the info. If they don't want to use my computer to help find the problem, then I'll try it. The only difference is mine didn't even start once.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,
I'd love to work with you to see if we can isolate this issue. I have some ideas and so if you don't mind, please use the Contact Us form and email me your phone number and your availability this weekend. I'm in Portland, Oregon. Where do you live?
Lloyd

Lloyd, I'm having the same problem. I was able to get WTP to work once in trial mode (after installing/removing/reinstalling) 3 times. No joy after reinstalling 100 more times before finding this thread. I'm running Vista Home Premium service pack 1. I tried changing the compatibility mode to every one on the pull down list and nothing works. Per your directions I tried chaning compatibilty from the Start menu, but the Woodturner Pro file that shows up there is just a "shortcut". I've had to find the WOODTurner Pro application under "C:\Program files\woodturner pro" to find the compatabilty option. Anything else I can try to get it to work?

When the trial mode download worked, I was downloading Design Pro and Laminate Pro also, and I'm wondering if the combination I installed them in allowed me to get it to work that first time (I think Design Pro and WTP share some files).

I believe I found the problem and it had nothing to do with the software, but rather, the installation packages. I have rebuilt them for both programs and have uploaded new versions. If you have the above problem, go to your Control Panel and uninstall both 3D Design PRO and Woodturner PRO, then install the new Woodturner PRO and start it without changing the compatibility mode. It should start without a problem and if it does, install the new 3D Design PRO and both programs should now work fine. If this is not the case, let me know.
Sorry for the inconvenience. Without being able to replicate the problem, it was difficult to troubleshoot.
Lloyd

Lloyd, Still wont work, same message. I tried all combinations of installing. I tried installing on my laptop and our desk top (same OS on both machines, Vista Home Premium) and same message. When I look at the compatibility setting it is not checked.

Lloyd, Still wont work, same message. I tried all combinations of installing. I tried installing on my laptop and our desk top (same OS on both machines, Vista Home Premium) and same message. When I look at the compatibility setting it is not checked.

Joseph,
Can I call you to get to the bottom of this? Please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page so that you can send me your phone number privately. I don't think it will take us long to resolve this.
Thanks,
Lloyd

Back