Pricing and Quotes module for Segment PRO

Discussion in 'Segment PRO' started by Lloyd Johnson, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

This tutorial shows you how to use the Pricing and Quotation module in Segment PRO. This module, still under development, is a way for you to look at any bowl in terms of effort to build and then applies a value to various elements of the build. You can change the defaults for these actions or modify them at run time.

Johnrheyd likes this.
  2. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

Hi Lloyd,
    I've been playing around with the pricing and have a question and a thought.

Question is under setting there are two items quotations setup and pricing setup, they don't seem to really do anything. I'm assuming they are there for some future schema that you have in mind? Or am I missing something?

My though is, if I'm going to price out a bowl, I'm probably going to charge more for a 60 segment ring than say a 12 segment or even a 24 segment ring. So may be there should be someway in the pricing to consider the segment count per ring, like 12, 18, 24, 48, 60, 96, 144. Or may be some more in between the higher counts.

3. Lloyd Johnson

The pricing needs more work, obviously, but I thought I'd wait until I could get some feedback before spending more time on it. Mostly, I need to see if it is worth doing at all. I'm afraid that there isn't a model that works well for most people, let alone everyone and if that's the case, it maybe should just go away and I may revisit it at a later date.
    I'm a little reluctant to put too much intelligence in for this reason and think it might be better to just let the user adjust the amount per painted segment (for example) for the current project because only then do they know exactly how difficult the current project is and how much an action is worth.

4. Bob Beaupre

Lloyd I fine with that I know you were looking for some feedback and that is what I was offering

5. Woodsmith

Woodsmith PRO Member

I am using your Segmentated Pro program. It works well until I save the project, at which time it seems to stop the whole thing. It saves to the directory, but can't find the PDF. I get an error message. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

6. Bob Beaupre

First what are you trying to save. The project or the quote for the project.

The quote for the project is saved as a PDF in Documents > My Segment PRO > Price Quotes, using the name you supply.

The project file is saved under c:\users\"Your User Name"\AppData\Roaming\Woodturner PRO\Segment PRO\Images\JasonPlan
    Everything from AppData are hidden directories so to see them you have to change system properties to see them.

What is your error message?

7. Lloyd Johnson

I have seen this error once before and it was because the software was not able to write to the folder due to permissions issues. I'm not saying this is the cause, but it is something we can look at.

If you could email me your phone number, I'd like to do screen sharing with you to see what is going on.

Just so you know, the Pricing module is a work in progress as I'm wanting to get more feedback before spending a lot of time on it. I am ready to get back to it, though.

Please email your phone number to me at lloyd@woodturnerpro.com.

8. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Hi Lloyd

Boy o Boy with all the things you are doing for your programs and this site I do not know how you find time to eat or sleep.

I do have a question on the pricing and Quote is can prices for wood be increased when wood prices go up? Also is there a place to insert Sales Tax when we sell it also? I had two more and forgot them so I will ask them tomorrow when I write them down.

9. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Lloyd is the best to answer your question. Seems the material upcharge field could be used to accommodate wood price increases.

10. Lloyd Johnson

Arlin,
    There is currently a bug in the price quote system that I’m trying to get some time to work on it more. You can go to The Settings Menu > Price Quotes and change the prices. The problem is with persistence and it isn’t maintaining the price correctly.

The price quote system was more of an experiment to see what interest there is in a solution like this. I’m not convinced it is with the effort, though, especially since my programming time is so limited. It might make the software better by removing it altogether so that my efforts are more directed to the features that are needed by everybody , not just the 2% that would actually use it.

11. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

No problem my friend. It is just me learning more of the software and seeing how everything works. :)

12. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Lloyd:
    I agree with you that the price quote system is a unique feature. I personally have not ever used it. I for one would rather see your efforts in features that help in the development of the vessel. I find myself using both SP and WTP. SP does make the development of a pattern a breeze.

13. juansierra

juansierra PRO Member

I think that it would be a great and useful feature.