• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

New to segmented turning in Bismarck, ND

Don Fillenworth

PRO Member
Hello everybody! I'm just getting started in segmented wood turning, and I'm excited about the new hobby. My main interest is small turnings such as Christmas ornaments, since I have a mini lathe. I am just now placing an order for the software and hardware to get started. I'll need an indoor hobby during the long snowy winters.

Welcome to WTP forum.
Warning segmented building and turning is addictive. But that is ok, we are all addicts here.:)

Hope you find the forum a good source of information. Post your questions, help with answers and use the gallery to share some of your work.

Hi, glad you joined us. I think the Woodturner Pro suite can't be beat but Lloyd has written an entire new program Segmented Pro. This is probably the best one for a new segmenter. Be sure and view the tutorials and also take a look at Jerry Bennett's Seg Easy sled and wedgies. You can see the plans for the sled and wedgies here: http://www.segeasy.com/segeasy.htm . Above all ask questions and have fun.

Welcome Don,
Great bunch of people here with tons of knowledge on segmented turning. Feel free to ask any question, sometimes even the smallest hint or suggestion can make a world of difference. As Stuart has said the wedgie sled is the way to go, takes a lot of frustration out of cutting segments. You are embarking on a great adventure my friend enjoy it all even the failures, and there will be some ask anyone here. Get ready to spend untold hours in the shop because you forgot to look at the clock.

Hi, glad you joined us. I think the Woodturner Pro suite can't be beat but Lloyd has written an entire new program Segmented Pro. This is probably the best one for a new segmenter. Be sure and view the tutorials and also take a look at Jerry Bennett's Seg Easy sled and wedgies. You can see the plans for the sled and wedgies here: http://www.segeasy.com/segeasy.htm . Above all ask questions and have fun.
I've got the Incra miter sled that is extremely accurate. My thoughts were to try this option before going with the SegEasy sled. Any thoughts or recommendations?

How many segments are you going to try. If you are going to start with 12 segment rings. All you need is a 30/60/90 triangle. The sled you can from materials you probable have in your shop. You need to cut your segments accurately enough that when you put a row together with a rubber band around them you can see no light when you hold it up to a light. My suggestion is build the wedgie sled.

I've got the Incra miter sled that is extremely accurate. My thoughts were to try this option before going with the SegEasy sled. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Hi Don:
I have been using the Incra Miter express for years. I have two different Incra miter gauges. The one I use the most is the model cut for every 1 degree. Works well. When I do a good job of preparing my wood, take the time to check to make sure the sled/fence is all square it does a good job in cutting segments.

That said, You can build a second fence and use the T track to secure it in place. Only thing you need is the wedge. Now your Incra sled is a segeasy sled.

incra sled segeasy.jpg

Don, I also have the Incra Miter Express and agree it is very accurate. However, if I had known about the Seg Easy I wouldn't have purchased the Incra. I wasn't as smart as Mike and built a second sled for wedgies that is just about exactly like his. The advantage is cutting larger segments than the Seg Easy sled.

To answer your actual question. I recommend using the wedgie sled whether you make it from your Incra or build a new one. It takes that little bit extra tweaking.

Don, I agree with Stuart no matter how you do it the wedgie sled is the way to go. I can cut perfect 48 segment rings every time without having to cut test rings.

Don, one thing I've learned as the segment number increases the more you have to watch how round you keep your rings when gluing them up. If you get out of round you WILL have alignment problems from ring to ring.

Hi Don:
I have been using the Incra Miter express for years. I have two different Incra miter gauges. The one I use the most is the model cut for every 1 degree. Works well. When I do a good job of preparing my wood, take the time to check to make sure the sled/fence is all square it does a good job in cutting segments.

That said, You can build a second fence and use the T track to secure it in place. Only thing you need is the wedge. Now your Incra sled is a segeasy sled.

View attachment 1869
This is the exact Incra miter sled tha I have. Thanks for sharing!

Since I am totally new to this and will be working on smaller items (my mini lathe has an actual limit in diameter of just under 10"), I am planning to start with 12 or 16 segments and work my way up in number as my experience progresses. Also, I am planning to start with closed rings and work my way up to open segment rings.

I read earlier in my thread that this could be addictive. I can certainly understand why. I haven't even started working with segmented turning yet (I just placed my order for software and hardware), but already my shop has been rearranged in anticipation of my new hobby! I find myself thinking through the process during the day or night.

No doubt I will have many questions and I want to thank you all in advance for your assistance and advice.

Don:
I found I can spend hours playing with WTP (suite) to come up with patterns. The new Segment Pro with the profiles it has cuts down on design. Two books I would recommend are:
Malcolm Tibbits The Art of Segmented Woodturning
Ray Allen Woodturning with Ray Allen (this book is great for featured ring ideas)
There are many more, but these two I found to be very helpful.

Don:
I found I can spend hours playing with WTP (suite) to come up with patterns. The new Segment Pro with the profiles it has cuts down on design. Two books I would recommend are:
Malcolm Tibbits The Art of Segmented Woodturning
Ray Allen Woodturning with Ray Allen (this book is great for featured ring ideas)
There are many more, but these two I found to be very helpful.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into the books on Amazon.

Back