• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Learning from my mistakes

Chris Neilan

PRO Member
Sometimes the only way to learn is to mess up. I just did that, again. My current project has 20 rows, and after about 10 rows I decided to smooth out the inside with my Monster brand hollowing system. Got carried away and turned off the hole used by the stomper to keep things lined up! No big deal, but one more thing to watch for. Lucky for me it still wanders into about the right spot and I can realign it as necessary.
Time to go to bed and start again in the morn!

There are those who have made mistakes in wood turning and there are those who are going to make a mistake. It happens to all of us.

Chris we all do. It's worse when they hit the floor.
For your error your is penance, is to sweep the shop floor and keep saying to yourself what did you do that for.

But, seriously that's a easy fix. Just hot glue a small block of wood at the bottom of your bowl and re-drill a 5/8" with a fostner bit. When done with the bowl just turn it out. Some bowls I start out that way, rather than drill a bole.

Another approach is to turn it in two pieces. Make up a new glue block and start from the top working toward the middle. Once you have the second half turned mount it in the tailstock and use pressure to drive it against the other half. You can then blend the two halves together. Once they are like you want glue them together. I use this method on just about all my pieces over 10 rings.

Back