Finish

Discussion in 'Open-Segment Turnings Forum' started by Bob Beaupre, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

For those who have built open segment vessels, what is your favorite finish, for open segment? Besides rattle can lacquer?

2. Stan Gardner

Stan Gardner New Member

I like Walnut oil. It has a UV inhibit so hopefully the colors won't fade over the years. 2 or 3 coats to seal. Walnut oil will dry to a hard durable finish. Once the last coat is dry I buff it and use a food safe carnauba wax buffed to a satiny shine.

3. Brett Niland

Brett Niland PRO Member

Stan,

How do you apply the carnuba wax. Doesn’t it tend to built up between the segments?

Brett

4. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Administrator Staff Member

carnauba wax is applied with a buffing wheel.
    I would not suggest using it on a open segment bowel as it will tend to fill the openings between segements

5. Stan Gardner

Stan Gardner New Member

I use a walnut finish that has carnauba wax in it. I typically do the majority of the finishing while the piece is on the lathe. Doctor's Woodshop make several finishes with walnut oil.
    I apply it in small amounts until the piece is covered. Since it is applied with the piece turning the wax melts. The wax does settle to the bottom of the container so it has to be shaken frequently. For this product I shake the container a little before applying it to an application pad.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 8:57 AM