03 - Painted Segment Bowls in Segment PRO

Bob Beaupre

Administrator
Staff member
In Segment Pro the second species in your pallet is the base. Change that and you have a different base
 

mfisher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ring 1 species is always walnut. Is it possible to change the species someplace?
Changes need to be done in the palette .
In the Bowl setting window (bottom of screen), right hand top is the palette selection button. It indicates what palette is being used for the bowl view.

To change the ring 1 wood species, , go to the top of the screen, select palette.
This lists all the palettes that have been built/saved in SP. Go to the one that you are using for the project you are working on.
Ring 1 is the disk. Double click the wood species in column 2 on the name row for the palette you are using. and then select what wood species you would like.

Palette, column 1 default is the default wood species for ring 2 and up.
Palette, column 2 is for ring 1 (SP default is a disk).
 

John H

PRO Member
Changes need to be done in the palette .
In the Bowl setting window (bottom of screen), right hand top is the palette selection button. It indicates what palette is being used for the bowl view.

To change the ring 1 wood species, , go to the top of the screen, select palette.
This lists all the palettes that have been built/saved in SP. Go to the one that you are using for the project you are working on.
Ring 1 is the disk. Double click the wood species in column 2 on the name row for the palette you are using. and then select what wood species you would like.

Palette, column 1 default is the default wood species for ring 2 and up.
Palette, column 2 is for ring 1 (SP default is a disk).
Thanks!
 
Hi all, new to this software, first time using it although watched a few tutorial's. When i have designed and painted my project when i go to summary it does not show the column with the number of painted segments required? my last column is species.
 

Lloyd Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
The columns for the different species only show if you are displaying a painted segment bowl. I suspect you currently have Feature Ring or Tornado Bowl selected.
 
Hi Lloyd, I have painted highlighted but it only shows 4 of the painted segments, the rest are base wood, if i switch to Tornado it shows all the painted segments.
 

mfisher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lloyd, I have painted highlighted but it only shows 4 of the painted segments, the rest are base wood, if i switch to Tornado it shows all the painted segments.
Hi Lavis:
It can be helpful when having problems with SP to post the .json file. That way we can recreate or see exactly what you are seeing
Top of SP screen do a Share / Export. It will create the file which can be shared.
 

mfisher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lavis.
Thanks for posting the json file. It imported fine. I see the summary file is not accurate.
I have a question
- The plan shows for your vessel as having 24 segments per ring. Did you at anytime change the number of segments to a larger or smaller number of segments per ring? If so, the counter can get confused and loose what is going on. Best thing to do is in paint view is reset and clear the painting and recreate.

I will take a further look and see.
 
Last edited:

mfisher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lavis.

I saved your project, cleared the painted segments and repainted. Took no time.
The count summary now seems to be correct for 24 segment rings.
I attached a new json file of your project. You can import it into SP

Clipboard01.jpg
 

Attachments

Bob Beaupre

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever I have a problem similar to yours I always look at the palette. In your case when I imported it I got not found on one of the species.

Having all the species not filled in is one of the biggest problems I see, not in your case, but one not found.

And like Mike found messing with the painting and changing species during the design may have been what caused your problem
 

Lloyd Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
If ever the Summary is not accurate, it is always because of one thing - at some point after segments were painted, the number of segments were changed. The software continues to keep track of every painted segment, even if the number of segments was reduced. The thinking was - if the number of segments were increased again, they would still be painted. So the software does its best to figure out what to do if the number of segments change, but it simply can’t do it correctly.

To resolve this problem, reset all the segments and repaint them. The Summary will then be correct again.

In the next release, I’m going to do an automatic reset if the number of segments change. This will permanently resolve the problem. In the meantime, if you change segments, reset and paint and you’ll be just fine.
 
Top