• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

advice on bowl

martyn

PRO Member
hi i am making this bowl and I've just put the two sides together and it looks all wrong i think what i am going to do

is trim the maple layer above the feature rig down to about 4mm
then add another walnut layer to the top half above the new thin maple layer re shape round
cut off the first two bottom layers off and bin
fit a nice walnut plug bottom into the new bottom
might make a small feature rung for the top

any thoughts or advice would be great

Attachments

• rubbish turning.jpg
    rubbish turning.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
saying that i might just cut the feature ring out and bin the rest lol,

or separate the two halves into separate bowls and make the maple half with the feature ring the top half of the bowl and turn a new nice maple bottom half not unlike the shape of the vessel below.
I am thinking maybe the walnut is too heavy colour for the maple bottom and that walnut shape is a bit like a flat tyre, small base is terrible

this is the first vessel I've made that has dis-pleased me so much

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
from what i can see, if you lose the 2 bottom rings and carry the curve from the middle to the base it should look great,

Thanks for re-posting. Awesome feature ring and would be terrible to waste it on something you dislike. I agree with David about removing the bottom two rings but I would also suggest removing the current base. Turn a small 3/4" disk that will fit inside the hollow form then make up a 1/2" segmented disk, clean up and sand one side so it is flat then glue the the solid disk to it. Clean up any squeeze out immediately. When dry insert and glue the two pieces into the bottom. Turn down so the curve flows into the new bottom. You can make the solid disk plain or turn a pattern. When complete it will be something like this:
bottom.jpg

I think the top can be improved by narrowing it a bit if you have sufficient wall thickness and then rounding over and thinning the top ring a bit.

Good luck,
Stuart

thanks guys , yes i think the bottom is getting cut off for sure and i am going insert a plug bottom as you both suggest, i like your walnut ring on he bottom (i might steel that idea). Yes I have a fair bit of material yet on the top so ill make the top ring smaller and thin it down. I am also thinking of making the walnut section a nice cove that meets the maple at dull point then from that point down curve round o he bottom. if you've have time have a look a the 3d pro image below and tell us what you think

thanks for your help

Attachments

• new profile.3dp
    345 bytes · Views: 9
The new profile.3dp is what I meant about the bottom. Go a head and make your changes the worst that can happen is you will need to salvage the feature ring and start over. It's all about learning and having fun.

yes think i am going to remove the bottom and take it from there ,i have a couple of idea now thank you all for your help.

Yes sorry i will finish it and post a picture, ive just gone done with man flu and carnt stop sneezing. As soon as i feel better i will be tackling it. thankyou for your support and interest sorry for the delay

I had flu twice earlier this year, absolutlly ill, the good news is i stopped smoking after 45 years,

well done i smoked for over 10 years, i quit 4 years ago, its great, the best thing I've ever done.On a different note i don't believe I've got flu for one minute, if you have flu you are literally bed bound i just have a bad cold lol, feel a bit better now. Might venture into the shop in a bit and take on that turning its been taunting me for long enough now

Good for you on quiting smoking. I stopped smoking in 1973, and now only have a cigar occasionally.

David stopping was the wisest thing you could do, congratulations.

In 1976 when I stopped I was at the stage where I would wake up in the middle of the night for a smoke, get up half an hour early so I could get my coughing done plus I wouldn't leave the house in the morning with less than 3 packs. My wife was also a smoker but much lighter. We both stopped in Nov. 1976 after attending Smoke-Enders. A great program but I don't know if they still exist. To this day I will occasionally dream I have stated up again and once in awhile reach toward my left pocket for my pack.

oh the stupid thing we've done

ok did a bit today i turned and shaped the top, glued the two halves together and cut the bottom section off and started to make a plug and bottom ring out of walnut. I think its a bit better although it not my best turning by far, think with this one I've just got to finish it and move on.
i am very tempted to cut the bottom maple section off and reproduce it using walnut or maybe sapele, I think one of my problem is the base colour of my feature ring (beech i believe ) is a very close colour to the maple. Ill sleep on it

Attachments

• 20161105_174932.jpg
    20161105_174932.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
martyn:
Good save on the featured ring. I like the shape of your new turning is much improved. I like it a lot.

ok gone into finishing didn't turn out too bad considering where it was, i will post in gallery when complete.

thanks for all the help

Attachments

• 20161106_171019.jpg
    20161106_171019.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20161106_171028.jpg
    20161106_171028.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20161106_171035.jpg
    20161106_171035.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
Back