• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

vertical segmenting

D

David Creed

Just a few pics of a project i am working on, the white wood is poplar from a pallet, it looks like not such a good idea but time will tell, the dark wood is a piece of Victorian panel walnut, i decided to build the vase vertically as a challenge and because i did not have a lot of walnut to throw at this project, the build so far, cheers Dave

Attachments

• 000_2276.JPG
    000_2276.JPG
    608.3 KB · Views: 43
David.
Looks interesting. Keep us updated. I am curious on how it all turns out.

There was a duplicate thread which did not contain your photos. I removed that thread. So there is now just this one.

Hi MF, there were some other pics showing my attempts to work out the shape of each segment, i still havent got my head around a professional way for this and just guestimated untill i had built up the stack to 3 inches high which is the diameter of the base, i could then turn circles with a compass to shown where each new segment would start for the next layer, hope that makes sense, cheers Dave

Attachments

• 000_2285.JPG
    000_2285.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 000_2287.JPG
    000_2287.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 32
Interesting project. Thanks for sharing. Definitely keep us posted as the project proceeds.

Sorry to report that i have blown up the vase, trying to turn the inside was a nightmare, soft wood hard wood with lots of uneven cuts was just too much to ask, i have put it aside for now and might have a re-match another day, Dave

As they say some turners have had projects blow up, and there are some turners who time is yet to come. In the end , we all will experience the "blow up".

Sorry you lost the vase. it happens.

Sorry it happened. I know when this happens we are suppose to shrug it off and think of it as a learning experience. Personally, I would just as soon skip some experiences and remain ignorant.

On to the next one.

Well, i managed to salvage the piece (just), it still has two dents that were just too deep to remove completely and i lost the original mortice off the bottom, i also altered the top piece to make into a table lamp, it will still make a nice xmas present, Dave

Attachments

• 000_2293.JPG
    000_2293.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 000_2295.JPG
    000_2295.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 26
Well, i managed to salvage the piece (just), it still has two dents that were just too deep to remove completely and i lost the original mortice off the bottom, i also altered the top piece to make into a table lamp, it will still make a nice xmas present, Dave
Very nice recovery, glad you stuck with it!

Good save. I just finished the two Michael Pittman designed bedroom lamps and had a similar issue. While doing the final sanding on the last one I somehow managed to knock it out of the chuck. I couldn't get it to align and turn true again so the dent had to stay. I went ahead and finished it and drilled the cord hole so the dent will be against the wall. I know it's there and will always be a bit disappointed but it still looks good.

Many thanks for your kind words, i might have a go at making a shade for the piece,i could machine 2 walnut rings and use veneer for the shade mmmm now theres a thought, Dave

Back