• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Lloyd is pretty quiet

Oh no. I'm here and joined at the hip to my computer. I'm approaching 7,000 lines of code now and am at the computer for at least 10 hours per day. I did get to sleep in yesterday - all the way to 4:15am. Today it was 3:15. :-<

I'm down to the punch list, finally, but it's a pretty long list. Now, it's mostly bulletproofing the code so that data entry errors can't be made. Tomorrow I get to drive to the Southern Oregon Coast where I'm making a presentation on Saturday morning for the South Coast Woodturners. It will be the first demonstration of the new software and I'm very excited about it. I'll report back on Sunday.

I should be able to make the software available for download next week. It won't be for sale until November, but it will run in the trial mode.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new software. Let us know when it's ready for us to try and "break" it. In my final job after we got through Y2K testing my main function was replicating client errors and then fixing them. Usually replicating was harder to do than the actual fix.

Looking forward to seeing the software. This trying to learn the idiosyncrasies of Sketchup is messing with me.
SketchUp is one of those programs you either love or hate. I do both, just like you do. Using SketchUp, though, I've added another background to the software for making the Segmentship Enterprise. When you get the software, set the height of the wall profile to 4" and then draw the profile. Although the profile canvas is square, it is 50% wider than the height which lets you draw wide vessels. That means that at 4", you can draw 6" radius and for the Enterprise, the segmented vessel needs to be 12" diameter so that works perfectly.

I have measured drawings for the engines part of the Enterprise. I've simplified the design greatly and am hopeful that people will see this as a fun project and something that kids or grandkids would really like. The engines and body are all made of 8-sided stave cylinders which leave flat facets where a simple mortise and tenon stretcher lets the engines mount to the body. If nothing else, it was fun and easy to do. I designed this one to use the large 48-segment SegEasy plate, although as Bob has shown, you can also do it as a closed segment ring. I then clicked the 'Novice' button on the software and it switched it to 3/4" thick rings with 12 segments and this would simplify it greatly and let you turn whatever profile you wanted.

Attachments

• Segmentship Enterprise.jpg
    Segmentship Enterprise.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 18
  • Segmentship Enterprise - novice.jpg
    Segmentship Enterprise - novice.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 12
The jpgs are very big and although I would think it they would be reduced automatically to fit any screen, perhaps that isn't true.

Try these smaller ones instead and let me know if that worked.

Attachments

• Segmentship Enterprise - small.jpg
    Segmentship Enterprise - small.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Segmentship Enterprise - novice - small.jpg
    Segmentship Enterprise - novice - small.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 7
I'm looking forward to trying out the new software. Let us know when it's ready for us to try and "break" it. In my final job after we got through Y2K testing my main function was replicating client errors and then fixing them. Usually replicating was harder to do than the actual fix.
Stuart,
You'll have no problem replicating problems here as there are lots of places where things will need changes (minor, I hope) to work the way users want it to work. Fortunately, segmented woodturners are a very forgiving group and since I have written this code myself, I should be able to fix bugs myself fairly quickly. Since I'm also the QA staff, though, I won't know about some of these bugs until I have other people use the software.

Lloyd your going way beyond just bowls
To Infinity and Beyond!

I'm actually looking for ways to push the boundaries ofsegmenting. It's always bothered me that so few woodturners pay any attention to segmenters. I figure that if we make it easier to design and build projects, perhaps we can get more people to try it. We also need the AAW to start treating segmenters like they aren't a fringe group. Since 20% of members are segmenters, the magazine should have more space devoted to segmenting. The articles they have run in the past few years have been very lame. I'm not currently on the board of Segmented Woodturners but I am meeting with them in Boston and will see what we can do to send a message to the AAW.

When my subscription to the AAW ran out and I did not renew they actually called me on the telephone to ask why. My reason was about the same as what you said. The magazine seemed to me like it was about sculpting and carving with only basic woodturning. Way beyond the average woodturner.

What I'm also trying to do with this software is help those segmenters that would like to sell their work as commissioned pieces to use 'augmented reality' to allow prospective customers to better understand what a piece will look like before work begins on it. That's why I'm adding additional backgrounds and the ability to easily save them as image files. For example, I've added a background called 'Pet Memorial' that will let the segmenter show what a memorial with a segmented cremation urn could look like. I think it will be a good way to mock up a setting, render the vessel and send it to the prospect for their approval.

I've added the ability for you to add your own background. You can create these with most graphics program that lets you export a file as a .obj document. SketchUp allows you to do this, although it might only be on the PRO version.

Attachments

• PetMemorial.png
    PetMemorial.png
    937.5 KB · Views: 15
Here, I've scaled the same bowl down so that it is a size that would be for a 30-35 pound pet. I've also scaled it back so that you can see more of the background and you can rotate it into any position you like. Obviously, the memorial part of it needs to be resized, but that is done in SketchUp or the like.

BTW, to start from scratch with a new profile, setting the parameters and painting segments from scratch took less than three minutes. Resizing it is done instantly.

Attachments

• PetMemorial - small.png
    PetMemorial - small.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 16
Bob is there lots of contents behind the "Just for Members" area?

Does this help. They have a nice projects folder with some good information. The other great thing they have are some great members with lots of information. But not as responsive as this forum. Some of the people hear are also there. Any other questiions ask away

Attachments

• Segmented Woodturners Forum.pdf
    334.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Segmented Woodturners - A Chapter of the AAW.pdf
    152.4 KB · Views: 7
Back