• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Veneers

Glenn McCarron

PRO Member
When you want to add a thin veneer layer or multiple decorative layers in a segmented project I have a few questions:
1. What thickness do you use?
2. Where do you purchase it from?
3. What size did you buy?
4. Is the dyed wood veneers solid color?
5. Has anyone used "The Bowl Kit Company" to buy veneers?

Any comments, advice or experience using them would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I buy mine here: http://www.wood-veneers.com/ . Buy what size you need and glue a couple strips together for your thickness. I'm always surprised at how thick a thin accent veneer ring is when turned and don't usually go thicker than 1/16". On small rings I will glue a solid piece and cut the center out after glue up. The veneers come in many different colors. A word of caution don't try to make up a two or three colored veneer accent by gluing them up and then cutting. They won't match. Instead add them one layer at a time. I have not used "The Bowl Kit Company".

FWIW, Pete Marken (Segmented Woodturner Chapter) did an experiment that turned out well using colored card stock. If you think about it paper is really just processed wood.

I buy mine here: http://www.wood-veneers.com/ . Buy what size you need and glue a couple strips together for your thickness. I'm always surprised at how thick a thin accent veneer ring is when turned and don't usually go thicker than 1/16". On small rings I will glue a solid piece and cut the center out after glue up. The veneers come in many different colors. A word of caution don't try to make up a two or three colored veneer accent by gluing them up and then cutting. They won't match. Instead add them one layer at a time. I have not used "The Bowl Kit Company".

FWIW, Pete Marken (Segmented Woodturner Chapter) did an experiment that turned out well using colored card stock. If you think about it paper is really just processed wood.

Stuart nice web site for veneer Thanks

I don't think I would use card stock as a veneer ring. I have seen paper / kraft paper use for gluing bases to waste blocks and then breaking that joint to remove the piece from the waste block, Dennis Kelling uses this a lot

Bob, I haven't tried it yet but card stock is thicker than craft paper or newsprint so it would probably hold better. Plus when it is used for waste blocks it is very secure until it is broken apart. Given the amount of deliberate strength or wedging required I don't think it would be an issue when used as an accent ring that isn't meant to be separated. Another thing to try someday.

Back