• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

feature ring

Eddy

PRO Member
Hi
I used Lamination pro to make the design for the feature ring for my new bowl so far so good, made the diamond pattern as this is my first attempt I think it's turning out pretty good my question is now I have the lamination of the diamond pattern on one long strip, each seg is the length called for in WTP if I cut the angle on each seg off of the strip they will be short, do I cut the segments off first and then cut the angle on each piece. Seems like the Segments will be short no matter what I do. I am at a loss, Was I supposed to add the width of the saw blade I just followed the WTP plans.At least I thought I did.
Thanks in advance
Ed

Ed,
Normally, when creating a multi-generation design, you will glue the strips together to make the next generation board. However, when I make a design in Lamination PRO that will be segmented in a feature ring, I glue the strips together to make a repeating unit, but I don't glue the repeating units together. In the case of a diamond pattern, I would
  1. Take the strips that I cut from the laminated board, put them on a miter saw (or table saw) and with a stop placed correctly, cut each of the strips for the 'slide'.
  2. Glue four of these pieces to get a single repeating unit with the diamond pattern in it.
  3. Put the repeating units back on the miter saw and cut off the tops and the bottoms to get a repeating unit of the correct height
  4. Stand them in their final position and cut the miters on each end for making a feature ring of the appropriate number of segments.

Having your design already in a board, won't slow you down a bit, though. I would rip the board on both sides to get it to the finished height. Then stand the board in its final position and use either the miter saw or table saw to make one angled cut and then flip it end-for-end to make the next cut. You can do this without losing any width since these pieces will be pie shaped. just position the board so that the cut will leave the entire segment edge length of diamond pattern.

You may decide after doing this approach that it is faster than the first method I describe and this may well be the case. I have just found it to be a bit more accurate to be able to place all components against a stop to make all cuts and it is easier to do that with individual elements rather than a board.

Let me know if any of this needs more clarification.
Lloyd

one long strip

Ed,
Normally, when creating a multi-generation design, you will glue the strips together to make the next generation board. However, when I make a design in Lamination PRO that will be segmented in a feature ring, I glue the strips together to make a repeating unit, but I don't glue the repeating units together. In the case of a diamond pattern, I would
  1. Take the strips that I cut from the laminated board, put them on a miter saw (or table saw) and with a stop placed correctly, cut each of the strips for the 'slide'.
  2. Glue four of these pieces to get a single repeating unit with the diamond pattern in it.
  3. Put the repeating units back on the miter saw and cut off the tops and the bottoms to get a repeating unit of the correct height
  4. Stand them in their final position and cut the miters on each end for making a feature ring of the appropriate number of segments.

Having your design already in a board, won't slow you down a bit, though. I would rip the board on both sides to get it to the finished height. Then stand the board in its final position and use either the miter saw or table saw to make one angled cut and then flip it end-for-end to make the next cut. You can do this without losing any width since these pieces will be pie shaped. just position the board so that the cut will leave the entire segment edge length of diamond pattern.

You may decide after doing this approach that it is faster than the first method I describe and this may well be the case. I have just found it to be a bit more accurate to be able to place all components against a stop to make all cuts and it is easier to do that with individual elements rather than a board.

Let me know if any of this needs more clarification.
Lloyd

I may not have said what I have done very clearly,The strip is not single segments but one long strip of segments all glued together I think I goofed, If I cut the angle on one strip it will cut some of the next segment off perhaps I should cut them into seperate pieces and then cut the angles onto them I will lose some length but I could put in a spacer to make up the difference. thanks for any advice
Ed

First, I would cut the 'ears' of both long edges so that you have a board that will be the finished height with diamonds that run the entire length. Then you can either do as you suggest by cutting the diamonds into separate pieces, cut the angles on them and add a vertical spacer. Or you can set your miter fence at the proper angle, place the board in it's upright position and cutoff the end. Then flip the board over by 180 degrees and make your next cut and repeat the process. You won't be losing any length because when you flip the board, you won't be cutting into the next segment because your angles will be cutting a pie-shaped segment on each diamond.
Either method will work fine. The first method will just made the segment a shorter by one saw kerf, but a vertical spacer may add interest anyway.

Back