• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Can Woodturner Pro Support a Floating Base

Glen Crandall

PRO Member
I recently found an article by Malcolm Tibbits ( http://www.tahoeturner.com/instructions/pdf/floating_base.pdf ) describing how to insert a floating base into a segmented bowl. Until recently I had been unaware of the problems with having a solid disk base for a segmented bowl. Now that I am aware of the problem I would like to implement floating bases in my future projects.

So would it be possible to have woodturner pro show the layout for the floating base?

Glen

Glen,

I don't currently draw a floating disk, but to my software the base ring will show as a disk with a certain height regardless of whether it is a floating base or a solid disk. I don't really see a need to go into further detail, but that may change in my new software which I will be announcing soon. The new software does what I call a 5-4-3 process which means that it takes 5 seconds and 4 mouse clicks to create three segmented bowls. It creates a Feature Ring Bowl, a Tornado Bowl and a Painted Segments Bowl. After they are created, single mouse clicks will let you change anything about them including the number of segments, closed or open rings, thickness of rows, placement of the feature ring, the number of Tornado bands, the number of repeating paint units. You can even swap out the palette that contains 10 species of wood for other palettes. All in 3D. :->

I'll soon be making a post about it and hopefully some videos as well. I plan to release it at the Segmented Woodturner's Symposium in Boston in the last weekend of October.

It is not an upgrade as I wrote it completely from scratch using new languages. Woodturner PRO/3DP will continue to be supported as the new software does not and likely won't do staves or compound segments. My goal is for it to satisfy 95% of segmenting needs with a SIMPLE-TO-USE user interface.

Lloyd

Thanks for the reply Lloyd. I understand about not wanting to go further but I thought I would give it a shot.

The new version sounds interesting. Wish I could be in Boston when you announce.

Thanks, Glen

Glen,

I don't currently draw a floating disk, but to my software the base ring will show as a disk with a certain height regardless of whether it is a floating base or a solid disk. I don't really see a need to go into further detail, but that may change in my new software which I will be announcing soon. The new software does what I call a 5-4-3 process which means that it takes 5 seconds and 4 mouse clicks to create three segmented bowls. It creates a Feature Ring Bowl, a Tornado Bowl and a Painted Segments Bowl. After they are created, single mouse clicks will let you change anything about them including the number of segments, closed or open rings, thickness of rows, placement of the feature ring, the number of Tornado bands, the number of repeating paint units. You can even swap out the palette that contains 10 species of wood for other palettes. All in 3D. :->

I'll soon be making a post about it and hopefully some videos as well. I plan to release it at the Segmented Woodturner's Symposium in Boston in the last weekend of October.

It is not an upgrade as I wrote it completely from scratch using new languages. Woodturner PRO/3DP will continue to be supported as the new software does not and likely won't do staves or compound segments. My goal is for it to satisfy 95% of segmenting needs with a SIMPLE-TO-USE user interface.

Lloyd
Are you going to give us a sneak preview of the program before Boston?

Yes. I decided to take a different direction in the Graphical User Interface and so once that is done, I will make a preview video of it. There's still a lot of work left to be done, but it is coming along nicely, IMHO.

Vessel bases are not hard to do. In Malcolm Tibbetts book "The art of segmented wood turning" it is well explained starting on page 58 - 61. I have included floating bases in several bowls and don't need software to tell me how to do it - YOU just have to remember to put one in when you do the base. That's my 2 cents worth. Its not rocket science.

on the segmented woodturners club website, Kevin Kneeley has posted a couple articles in the projects section that is a really cool way to do a floating base.

Back