• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

I want to add Leopardwood and other woods to the library of wood in the tool

John Astrello

PRO Member
Where/how can I find either in the tutorials (or by guidance) the way to be able to add 'Wood Types' to the wood I can add to my design in Woodturner Pro? Seems I've seen it in one of the tutorials, but I really don't want to watch all of them again to find this.

A little help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In WTP
Go to File / Options
in the Options box, select new species
In the new Species window box. give your new species a name
Select Bitmap
in the Path box to the right is ... select it.
a windows file explorer box will appear. navigate to the folder and highlight the image file for the new species .
(leave the 1 " width, 1" height") defaults
(recommend you check the "stretch to fit segment box).
Last, hit ok.

You should now have your new species available in the Wood species selection box.

====================
Info I have collected from Lloyd.

The two programs were written in two different languages with two different goals in mind and so it was necessary to have different approaches to the Species List. Ideally, it would have been nice to have a single repository of shared species and this is still a medium-term goal.

Woodturner PRO allows you to add your own custom species as you have found by clicking File > Options > Custom Species. Click the Path box and brows you any image file, regardless of size, and simply give it a name and this will be permanently added to the drop-down species list. The list is generated by the software at run-time and so the list itself is not editable.

Lamination PRO allows you to simply drop an image file into a folder and it is immediately available as a species using the file name as the species name. This folder is located in your c:\Program Files\Lamination PRO\Species or c:\Program Files (x86)\Lamination PRO\Species (depending on your operating system).

In Lamination PRO, it also does not matter what size or resolution the file is, but the size of the file will determine how big the grain pattern will be. If you are looking for a particular grain configuration, it may be necessary for you to first adjust the size of the file using a graphic program such as Microsoft Paint or Irfanview. Irfanview is also a free program which I highly recommend and can be found at IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide.

One thing I highly recommend is that if you use customer species for either (or both) programs, you should create a separate folder somewhere and keep all those files in it as a backup.

Great replies and information! Been too long since I used the tool(s) and did a segmented bowl. Doing a Beads of Courage for our Club's August project (my first B of C) - and picked up some very nice looking Leopardwood to use. Appreciate the thorough and timely responses.

John.
I moved your thread to the Software Support WTP section. The section you had it in was more for questions regarding Lloyds vids.
Hope you don't mind. We encourage users to ask questions. A few years ago I had to ask Lloyd were the Lamination Pro software stored its species list.

Hope we can help you in the future. WTP is great software. It only gets better as Lloyd has time to improve it.

Mike

Back