another what to do with this one

Discussion in 'Non-Segmented Turnings Forum' started by Svassa, May 7, 2016.

  1. Svassa

    Svassa New Member

    Got some wood of my friend ex apple tree.

    The bottom piece turned out to be hollow once i removed all the rotten but still dry parts.

    So it looks like this now after i cleaned it.


    I also bought some most needed tools for my lathe

    Attached Files:

  2. mfisher

    mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

    If the wood is sound, looks like it could make a nice shallow bowl.
  3. Svassa

    Svassa New Member

    its is dry if not :)

    What do you guys do with a piece of wood that is very uneven on the outer side?
    Got a piece of ash(?) that is kind of bubbly.
    Note, I dont have a chuck, yet
  4. mfisher

    mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

    There are many ways to flatten one side for turning.

    If you don't have a chuck, do you have a face plate?

    - you can turn the wood between centers to round the piece and flatten the bottom (if then going to glue to a faceplate, or make the tenon that will allow you to mount the wood to a chuck., but you don't have a chuck yet).

    - I have seen woodworkers flatten the bottom using a belt sander or joiner.

    I have turned a great number of bowls mounted to a faceplate. The way I use a faceplate is to mount the faceplate to a round piece of maple or poplar which is a waste block. I turn the waste block round and flatten to top while on the lathe using a sanding block.
    The waste block is then glued to your chunk of wood you want to turn.

Share This Page