• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Cutting Summary Columns Adjustable in Width?

pkw115

PRO Member
Are the columns in the cutting summary adjustable in width? When I print out the summary page, the Miter Angle column is truncated so that a miter angle of 11.25 shows a 1.25. Also, notall of the numerals appear on all of the number in the Grain match column so 21-13/16" shows as 1-13/16".

It also appears that the Column Headins have a third line of text that is not visible on my print out.

Is there a way to change the column widths or to delete uneeded columns so that the one I need print out correctly?

I have attached a scan of a sample print out from my machine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

View attachment Cutting Summary 1.pdf

I've never had a problem just printing the cut list straight from the program. I do save it a a CSV file though instead then open it with Open Office and save it as a .ODS. This allows me to color code the columns, hide those I don't want to see plus change the width.

I have just made some changes to the printout that will make it more readable. The column widths have been modified to better accommodate the contents.

The program has some other changes that are nearly done, and I hope to have them done in a few days and will let you know when it is ready for downloading.

To add to what Stuart has said, you can export the output to a .csv file that lets you open it in Excel or Word and then format the data however you like. To do this, click the Summary View toolbar button and then click the File menu item and you'll see the option to 'Export to .csv file' there. Save the .csv file to your disk drive and then open it with whatever program you choose that allows .csv files to be opened.

I use this feature a lot so that I can load the data into Excel. I then sort the rows so that the various widths of wood are together. This lets me cut all the rows that have the same widths at one time. I only have to change the Segment Edge Length. Before I do this, I make a change to the plan so that I change inside and outside diameters so that I can have as many rows as possible with the same wood width. This lets me cut the segments very quickly. I first make a sandwich Baggie for each row and label them with a permanent marker with the row number and the number of segments of each specie. I cut the segments three or four at a time by stacking strips. If I need an equal number of two different species, I'll take two strips of wood of each specie and then cut them all at the same time and will do thIs with either the table saw or a miter saw. I have a tutorial on cutting segments on both type of saws in the 'Software Tutorials' category of the Forum.

Lloyd

Thanks again for the response. I'll give the newest version a try when it is available.

I had tried the export to CSV but the columns S1, S2, S3 S4 and S5 do not export and the rings I had in my test project needed that data as they had different species in them. Though the numbers were a little truncated in the "S" columns, (two digit numbers were a little clipped) I could still read them when I printed from WTP. I had changed the plan to minimize the different widths to cut and like the idea of sorting the data in Excel to get those rows together.

I just looked at the CSV export again and note that all the dimensions export as decimal values, not fractions. I'm no Excel expert, but when I try to re-format the exported data to fractions that yields incorrect values, so that 19-5/16" exports as 19.33 and becomes either 19 1/3 if formated to a fraction of 1 digit or 19 32/97 if formated to two digits. Additionally, my 2 inch segment edge length exported as 1.98; the 13/16" exported at .8; the 11/16" exported at .66 and the 5/8" exported at .63.

Is there a trick to exporting the data so that the S colums are also exported and so that data retains its fractional integrity? I have attached a printout of the csv export for the project printout I sent at the start of this thread as it appears I cannot attach a csv file here.

Attachments

• My Plan.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 13
Lloyd can give a better explanation but it appears the numbers on the WP worksheet are rounded to the nearest fraction you have selected. The CSV file is probably exported as raw numbers and then rounded. Personally I like the decimal figures as I set my width and length with a decimal caliper. You might also try saving the CSV file as an Excel or what ever type of file your spreadsheet uses. You can then adjust the width of the column however you want.

Attachments

• quilt10.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 11
.csv files can only export in decimal. Stuart and I agree, though, that working in decimal does make sense. I usually work in metics as that makes the most sense of all.

Not or all columns are exported at this time. I'll put this on my enhancements list for the next upgrade.

Just wait for the next release that will come out in a few days. I can't release this next free upgrade until everything works perfectly and this issue certainly isn't worth rushing it - especially since I hope to catch 60 pounds of Chinook salmon off the Oregon coast tomorrow and Thursday. :)

Lloyd

Stuart and Lloyd, Thanks for your thoughtful replies. It appears that Stuart is correct in that if I change the numeric display to imperial decimal inch, it reveals that that the segment length is 1.98" which is the value exported to csv. I had previously had the option set to nearest 1/16th of an inch fearing that my old eyes would not be able to see the 32nds or 64ths. I am also used to thinking in terms of fractions (no machinist or engineering background) but the suggestion to work in decimal inches using calipers is appealing and is frankly something I hadn't considered before. I will give it a try, or perhaps will try a hybrid of designing in the familiar fraction mode and converting the file to decimal inches when it comes time to cut the segments. I'm not sure I'm ready to try it in metric, though I will also have to give it a shot sometime and see if my head explodes. Stuart, I am able to adjust column widths and highlight them as you suggest once I have save the csv to Excel. Thanks again for the timely and helpful responses.

Lloyd, good luck with the fishing! I agree that the issue is not worth rushing a release out for and appreciate the need for it all to work as you intended and designed before it is released. Thanks again, Peter

Lloyd, I just downloaded the latest version of WTP Build 3.1.010 and I see that the missing columns in the export summary to cvs are still not there. I think I asked about this last year and I see above that last August you said something about getting it fixed. I know this doesn't seem to be a very big deal, but it is really annoying to have to keep entering the grain match board length manually. Any prospects?

Back