• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

New guy in North Carolina

C

CommGuy

The word "pro" in the forum name scared me. Then I realized that's who I want to learn from. Maybe I can even remind you of mistakes you make along the way.
At any rate - I hope to both find and share things of interest to people who enjoy putting sharp metal objects close to rapidly spinning wood as much as I do on the forum.

Welcome to the group. Having new input is always a good thing but hopefully you won't be reminding me of too many of my mistakes. Are you new to segmenting? Be sure to view Lloyd's tutorial videos explaining how the software works.

... Are you new to segmenting? Be sure to view Lloyd's tutorial videos explaining how the software works.

Fairly new, yes. I was fortunate enough to attend a hands-on workshop a few months back, and have turned a couple of platter/small bowl projects since then. Learning as I go, I currently have a third in progress. Nothing major, yet. Just getting my feet wet.

To give you an idea where I'm at, here's one of the platters, and something I more typically engage in:

seg-bowl-1.jpg seg-bowl-2.jpg uke-x2.jpg

You are off to a good start. I guess from the photo of the ukuleles you are comfortable doing fiddly detailed work.

Welcome to the community CommGuy.

Please don't be shy about asking questions either about the software or segmenting and I'm confident that you'll get all the help you need.

In return, I may be coming to you for help with one of my other hobbies, making ukuleles. I've recently finished my third one and each was better than the last but I have a long way to go.

Lloyd

... I may be coming to you for help with one of my other hobbies, making ukuleles. I've recently finished my third one and each was better than the last but I have a long way to go.

Lloyd

That's the way, isn't it? I try - and learn - something new with every instrument. It's just a hobby for me, but it gives me a lot of joy to hear the recipient play them.

You are off to a good start. I guess from the photo of the ukuleles you are comfortable doing fiddly detailed work.

Thanks for the welcome. I definitely prefer the little fiddly stuff that makes people "ooh and aaah". Bowls, musical instruments, odd ball unique items are my thing. Furniture meets with too many lower priced imports in comparison.

Welcome to the group. Having new input is always a good thing but hopefully you won't be reminding me of too many of my mistakes. Are you new to segmenting? Be sure to view Lloyd's tutorial videos explaining how the software works.

Thanks for the welcome. My first stop is building the Table Saw Sled Lloyd posted a tutorial about on his YouTube account. [h=1][/h]

Hi. I'm Malcolm Douglas from UK and just started using WoodturnerPro. Done my first design and soon to start making it, so we'll see how the reality turns out in relation to the plan.

here's a question that I'm looking for guidance with. I have this idea to make a sculpture which will use segmented layers consisting of part open and part closed cells. Can WoodturnerPro accommodate this in its software? Malcolm.

Malcolm,

Yes, you can make any selections you like for each row. All you have to do is select the row either by double-clicking it or moving to that row and clicking the 'R' toolbar button which puts you into the Row mode as opposed to the 'S' button which puts you into the Segment mode. Then you click on the Row Type drop-down field and select either Open Segment or Flat.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Lloyd

Segmented rows

Hi Lloyd. Thanks for the prompt response. I think you have misunderstood what I want to do. I would like to design a piece where a row of segments is made of of both open and closed segements. For example, if a row has 16 segments, 4 would be closed or flat ring type, then the next four would be open, then the next four closed or flat ring type and the last four open segments. Can this be done? If that is what you were saying then ok. I haven't tried what you suggested yet but I think what you describe is not what I am looking for. Thanks. Malcolm.

Malcolm,

I now understand what you're looking for and my teeth have started itching. This happens whenever I have no idea how I could program something and unfortunately, this happens to me more than I'd like to admit.

So although there isn't a way for you to do this, I do have a suggestion if you're just wanting to visualize it. Make the row as a closed-segment row and add a vertical spacer that is the width of the open segment gap you'd like. The paint the ones you want to be open to an arbitrary species and then paint the remainder the same species as the row default.

Lloyd

Back