• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Confused

stevemil56

PRO Member
I am not understanding how to get from the laminated board to the first generation board. Are there any step by step instructions on how to make the cuts? I am trying to make a 12 segment disk using three equal width boards in the laminate going to the first generation. Can someone help me with the sequence to get there?

Thanks.

Steve

hi steve.

Front page on the forum has a SW lamination pro vid.
In lamination pro read the help section.

- When you start Lamination Pro (LP) you build your laminate through the lamination wizard.
You say your making a laminate 3 boards , equal width. ( the file I am attaching has 1" wide boards)

- Set repeating units to 12. (your stated your making a 12 segment ring.)
- Set Lamination cut width is 1/2 your segment length .

- Cutting Angles 1 is for the first generation of cuts. Play with the angle.(example 25 degrees)

Select ACTION and check "show where to cut lamination board into strips).
This is the angle you would set your miter gauge to cut the laminate board.
- Set your stop block to cut the strips to 1/2 the segment length (segment length of 2.25 you would cut the strips into 1.125" strips)

- The clipped region block allows you to narrow down the laminate to the heights of the segment you want. (ex. 2.25" tall segment)

- At the top select ACTION and click on show where to cut the laminate board into strip.

if you post the size of ring you want and the board widths for the laminate I will work up a sample file for you.

Attachments

• steve.lam
    1.6 KB · Views: 27
Thanks mfisher, I understand most of the program. Here is what I am trying to do. I would like to take this file to generation 1 and use it as the base for a shallow bowl or platter. I just can't understand how to cut the segments from the initial laminate to get to the generation 1 result. Any help is appreciated. I have recently retired and am having a blast trying all of the new information available.
View attachment Steve.lam

Hi Steve,

First, click on the 'lamination' button to display the laminated board and then click the 'details' button. This shows how you set your miter angle to 25 degrees and then make a series of identical cuts so that each of the strips is 1-1/8" wide. Then take two of these strips and flip one left-to-right and put them together to from a V pattern (a chevron). The chevron is the repeating unit and it consists of a left strip where the pattern declines and a right strip where the pattern inclines. Do this with all the remaining strips and glue them together in a series of chevrons and you have a first generation (chevron) board.

If I understand correctly, you then want to make a disk from the 1st generation board using a total of four repeating units. Now, while this is not difficult, it is an intermediate task in terms of difficulty.

To do this task, click the 'radial' button and this will show you where your cuts are to be made but I will elaborate. First, take your first generation board and then draw a line from end-to-end right through the center of the board. The center is measured is half-way from the top of the 'ears' to the bottom of the bottom ears. For a four-sided disk, your cuts will be made at 45 degrees and the cut must go exactly through the point where the left edge of the repeating unit (chevron) crosses the center line. You can then either flip the board edge-to-edge and make the next cut through the other boundary of the repeating unit, or you can not do any flipping and make all the cuts in the same direction, skipping every other repeating unit and then come back and make the other cut.

The 'radial' button screen shows you exactly where these cuts are to be made.

Finally, you'll notice that the top segments have a different pattern than the segments on the bottom. Your intended design is made by using just the top segments and another design can be made using just the bottom segments.

I hope that helps.
Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. I guess I was confusing myself more than anything. With the height set to 3" I was not seeing the complete 1st generation image and could not visualize the cut of the pieces to achieve what I was seeing. I was also confused by the image showing the saw cuts going both directions. Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to many projects with the software.
Steve

Back