• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

cross vice flattening rings

martyn

PRO Member
was spending hours sanding rings flat on sanding disc for lathe suffacating in dust so i decided to mount a cross vice on my lathe just like a metal lathe, now it takes less than a minute to true a face up, i put loose rings on the lathe using my longsworth chuck to flatten the first side of each ring then i flatten the second side when the ring is glued on

20150104_141848.jpg

20141130_155643.jpg

longsworth chuck

Attachments

• 20150104_141833.jpg
    20150104_141833.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 205
Martyn,

I've been thinking about a similar approach for turning the inside of tone rings for banjos. They are about 3" deep and really need to be precise which is difficult by hand.

I've also built a lathe-mounted fluting jig that I use to surface cylindars on the lathe to a consistent diameter. It works like a charm.

Thanks for posting.

Lloyd

hi Lloyd (love the site by the way ;))

yes i think you could do that with this set up but you would have take little cuts especially if the chisel is a long way out of the vice, ive found vibration increases as vase/ bowls get bigger and the cuts get further away from the head stock but its really speeded up flattening rings . any chance of a photo of that jig for creating cylinders as i love jigs

cheers martyn

hi Lloyd (love the site by the way ;))

yes i think you could do that with this set up but you would have take little cuts especially if the chisel is a long way out of the vice, ive found vibration increases as vase/ bowls get bigger and the cuts get further away from the head stock but its really speeded up flattening rings . any chance of a photo of that jig for creating cylinders as i love jigs

cheers martyn

I just joined this site and saw this post.I had the same idea and just bought a cross slide vice,and was trying to figure out just how to mount it on the lathe .I had itIMG_1110.jpgIMG_1110.jpg on a piece of plywood the same as you but turned the other way ,then made a bracket that fit into the jaws with a planer blade welded to it.It kind of worked but was trying to think of a better way ,then I saw your post,so I'll try it just like you did.What chisel do you have mounted in there?I know it will work like a hot dam once the kinks are worked out.

hi dovetail the chisel i use with my cross vice is a detail cutter from http://www.ukwoodcraftandcarbidechisels.co.uk/ it is a carbide cutter mounted on a square barred handle, being square it is sweet for this application. the guy who makes them is called Glenn and i have found his service to be excellent, his carbide chisel are amazing and a dream to use.Love your longs worth jig it looks very well made and very strong. I've used my set up for a few turnings now and have to say its awesome the only niggle is that i don't have enough travel to turn right to the centre i have to move the chisel right a bit with a small piece of wood in the vice. the cross rise has saved me a lot of time so far. is that a set-easy wedgie in the background, I've just order a set of them to use with my newly made seg-easy jig I've just finish, crnt wait to get then, how have you got on with them? any good?

Last edited:
Hi Martyn,Thanks for the chisel tip,I'll try and see if I can source something on this side of the pond that is similar.I have a few ideas of were to go.
Yes I made the longs worth chuck and don't use it to much ,but would be good for single rings and using our set up to flatten .I mostly use my cole jaw set up for it.
Yes ,those are seg easy wedges ,I love them and are so easy ,hence the name ,to use for quick set up and accuracy.I built their sled to use with them https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8Qkm6R7002yQSKu-o1Vog
My segmented rings are turning out a lot better now that I use his sled.I was just looking at Lloyd's video on his sled and I want to build that one too.http://vimeo.com/116131056
Too many ideas floating in my head and so little time.
Dovetail ( Rob)

Hi Rob

tell me about it so many ideas and so little time, i too made to longsworth chuck and didnt use it, until now that is its prefect for flattening off rings. i built that jig(first one) too carnt wait to recieve my wedgies to use with it i hate gaps in my rings think these will help

Hi Rob

tell me about it so many ideas and so little time, i too made to longsworth chuck and didnt use it, until now that is its prefect for flattening off rings. i built that jig(first one) too carnt wait to recieve my wedgies to use with it i hate gaps in my rings think these will help

You will like using those wedges.
Not so much ideas,but things to try.I have tendonotis in my arms so can't work to long in the shop at any given time.
I did get out today and refigured my vice like yours and it works much better.I used a parting tool shank in the jaws and that works real well.IMG_1111.jpgIMG_1113.jpg

looks a lot better, but and i hope you don't mind me saying ,if that chisel catches pointing up in the air like that and is force down it will be jammed into your ring / head stock. thats why i have my chisel horizontal so if it is force down by a bad catch it won't jam against the lathe.You might want to consider changing the grind of the parting tool so it can lay flat in the vice, not only that if the chisel is flat in the vice you won't have to have it out so far reducing vibration.

looks a lot better, but and i hope you don't mind me saying ,if that chisel catches pointing up in the air like that and is force down it will be jammed into your ring / head stock. thats why i have my chisel horizontal so if it is force down by a bad catch it won't jam against the lathe.You might want to consider changing the grind of the parting tool so it can lay flat in the vice, not only that if the chisel is flat in the vice you won't have to have it out so far reducing vibration.

Thanks,yes I can see some adjustments needed.
Rob

Rob,

I'll second Martyn's advice about the chisel. If it's going to be used as a scraper as you are demonstrating, it must be horizontal or even pointed slightly down or you will be guaranteed a catch and it will be powerful enough to send the chisel flying. Also, the Longworth Chuck is a good solution for holding a ring while you use a scraper against it, but don't overestimate its ability to hold wood. It takes very little effort to pop a ring off a Longworth Chuck because it is being held with compression only.

Here's a site that has a lot of good information about using cross vises with a lathe, including a lot of sources for cutters, etc.:
http://www.hicklerbanjo.com/lathe_diy.html

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,I agree and know I have to make the adjustments.I really do know better.:p

Hi Martyn,Thanks for the chisel tip,I'll try and see if I can source something on this side of the pond that is similar.I have a few ideas of were to go.
Yes I made the longs worth chuck and don't use it to much ,but would be good for single rings and using our set up to flatten .I mostly use my cole jaw set up for it.
Yes ,those are seg easy wedges ,I love them and are so easy ,hence the name ,to use for quick set up and accuracy.I built their sled to use with them https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd8Qkm6R7002yQSKu-o1Vog
My segmented rings are turning out a lot better now that I use his sled.I was just looking at Lloyd's video on his sled and I want to build that one too.http://vimeo.com/116131056
Too many ideas floating in my head and so little time.
Dovetail ( Rob)
Hi dovetail and Martyn, just saw your postings and I can attest to the accuracy of the Segeasy sled and use of Wedgies. Just finished my segeasy sled and wow was I impressed. first ring out of the sled was perfect - no sanding of the segments - came together as expected per Jerry Bennets video. I highly recommend the Segeasy process.

hi john, nice to hear from a fellow wood turner, I've just finished making my set easy sed i am waiting for my wedgies to turn up through the post. i live in uk and with the wedgie coming from the us its takes a bit of time, cant wait to get going though. Going to buy Lloyds software in a week or so, but I've spent too much money at the minute so it'll have to wait.

While you are waiting for the wedgies you might try drawing one using a protractor using some plastic. I haven't tried it but I there was a post on WoodCentral about do just that.

hi stuart how are you thank you for the tip, i went to the site wood central but was unable to find that article, they have so many threads it seemed hopeless i gave up after about 40min lol. carnt wait to get them wedges through post though.

Martyn,in the mean time you can also use a 30 deg plastic drafting angle.It is what I used before buying the wedges.IMG_1060.jpg

hi stuart thanks for that tip

did as you said, but i used a digital angle measure set it to 30 and set my fences to that, then cut 12 segment and it was pretty much bang on hard to find fault, a lot easier then how i used to cut the i can tell you

20150114_191635.jpg20150114_191544.jpg

so if i was wanting to cut a 16 seg ring would i set the angle between the fences to 22.5 deg?

OTE=martyn;1700]hi stuart thanks for that tip

did as you said, but i used a digital angle measure set it to 30 and set my fences to that, then cut 12 segment and it was pretty much bang on hard to find fault, a lot easier then how i used to cut the i can tell you

View attachment 356View attachment 355

so if i was wanting to cut a 16 seg ring would i set the angle between the fences to 22.5 deg?[/QUOTE]

That is correct Martyn. 360 deg. / 16= 22.5 deg.

Back