• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

adding wood type with picture

sgholman

PRO Member
Is it possible to add a wood type to the list, including picture, like from the Wood database. love your software, works great.

Is it possible to add a wood type to the list, including picture, like from the Wood database. love your software, works great.

Yes there is. Basically any image (jpeg) can be used as a wood species.

In WTP
Go to File / Options
In the Options box there is a button for New Species.
click on it and a new window pops up.
Enter a new name. (what ever you want)
Select bitmap
Identify the path of where your image is. (the little square three dot button) click on it. Go to the location of your image.

I would leave the 1" Height and Width alone.
Check the stretch to fit segment box.

click ok

your new wood species will show up in the list under the name you gave it.

LLoyd goes through the process in one of the vids (forgot which one) The vid shows how to make a featured segment image in sketchup and bring it in to WTP.

Here is a copy of response of specie file location I received.

Wood species

The two programs were written in two different languages with two different goals in mind and so it was necessary to have different approaches to the Species List. Ideally, it would have been nice to have a single repository of shared species and this is still a medium-term goal.

Woodturner PRO allows you to add your own custom species as you have found by clicking File > Options > Custom Species. Click the Path box and brows you any image file, regardless of size, and simply give it a name and this will be permanently added to the drop-down species list. The list is generated by the software at run-time and so the list itself is not editable.

Lamination PRO allows you to simply drop an image file into a folder and it is immediately available as a species using the file name as the species name. This folder is located in your c:\Program Files\Lamination PRO\Species or c:\Program Files (x86)\Lamination PRO\Species (depending on your operating system).

In Lamination PRO, it also does not matter what size or resolution the file is, but the size of the file will determine how big the grain pattern will be. If you are looking for a particular grain configuration, it may be necessary for you to first adjust the size of the file using a graphic program such as Microsoft Paint or Irfanview. Irfanview is also a free program which I highly recommend and can be found at IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide.

One thing I highly recommend is that if you use customer species for either (or both) programs, you should create a separate folder somewhere and keep all those files in it as a backup.

Last edited:
Thanks for the direction, it works just as you indicated. Next i'll look at the irfanview program, need to modify some of the pics

Thanks, Mike, for your very detailed post on custom species in Woodturner PRO and Lamination PRO.

There is a little I'd like to add to the discussion with regards to transferring designs from Lamination PRO to Woodturner PRO. There are two ways to do this and the two methods have very different results. First, once you click the 'Clipping Region' box and set the vertical height, you can click the 'Transfer to Woodturner PRO' button and a single repeating unit with the height of the clipping region control will be added to the Woodturner PRO species list, but only for that file. However, the image is added to the file so that the next time you open it, that custom species will still be present. If you close that file and start a new project, that custom species will not be in the list.

The second way to make this transfer is to click the 'Export Image' button and save the image to your disk drive. You can then use File > Options > Custom Species function of Woodturner PRO to add that image to the species list and this will become a permanent addition unless you choose to remove it. Adding the new species this way is a good way to experiment with various designs. For example, I have made several diamond patterns, southwest designs, etc., and add these to vessels when I'm looking to visualize design alternatives. Because of this, I always check the box to 'Stretch' the design to fit, as Mike suggested. Once I come up with a pleasing vessel, I'll go back to Lamination PRO and created a correctly sized design and transfer it using the 'Export to Woodturner PRO' functionality without the stretch option checked.

Lloyd

Does WoodturnerPro support an alpha channel? I have created a transparent jpeg image and added it to the species list but when I specify it the display does not show the transparency.

Thanks.

Does WoodturnerPro support an alpha channel? I have created a transparent jpeg image and added it to the species list but when I specify it the display does not show the transparency.

Thanks.

John, I'm afraid there is no support for an alpha channel at this time.

Lloyd

Back