• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Anyway to use a iPad

Mark Moyer

PRO Member
Hey guys. I'm new here and I've been turning on a very part time basis but I've been working with wood for 4 years now. I just got these programs and I'm blown away at how much information these programs supply and how easy it makes it look to do a project, I haven been able to start one but all the information is there and it's there instantly. Is there any way that I can e-mail or somehow get the cut summery with a picture of the project and all the rings broken down with where each different species goes with the diameters, widths, angles, pretty much the the whole cuts summery with all the rings and info. I'm thinking that it would be easier to keep everything in order then with just printouts. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated

If you do the math yourself in Excel you can import that into your iPad. there is software that uses Excel and can save as xlsx.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Woodturner PRO community.

The Ring View has a printout of the currently selected ring and each segment is numbered and shows each segment in a color that represents each specie used. In addition to the ring, there is also a detail box that has all of the details for cutting that ring. If you select 'Print' while viewing the Ring View, each ring will be printed on a separate page for you.

To gain flexibility, I like to print to a program call FinePrint. This gives you an easy way to reduce the print size so that multiple pages can print to a single page. So by just clicking the 2-up button, you'll get two pages to print on a single page and you can also do this for 4-up, etc.

The Ring View renders the ring into a full-size view and there are several reasons why this was done which I'll save for a later thread. If the ring is too large for the data box to print on the page, I will select the Properties of FinePrint and change it to use Legal size paper. When I print to my HP color laser, it automatically prints to letter paper and so the 2-up images still print correctly although the images are a bit smaller.

As an alternative, there is a seldom-used feature of Woodturner PRO that you might find helpful (I use it a lot). If you select the Summary View, you can then click File > Export to Excel and it will create a .csv file that you can open in Excel or any program that allows a .csv import. This will allow you to open a spreadsheet that has each row of the vessel as a row in the spreadsheet. You can delete columns and then reformat the sheet however you like.

I once had plans to add more functionality, to this feature but it isn't widely used and the cost to add functionality simply didn't make sense.

I hope you enjoy visiting here and I look forward to seeing your work.

Lloyd Johnson

I'm pretty sure that iPads won't support excel so would you know of any programs that would let me use excel on a iPad or if there is a program that would act the same way and present the information like excel would. I don't understand why but I'm 23 and grew up with computer my whole life but I'm probably the most computer illiterate person walking this planet, that's probably why I'm just a wood-factory worker

Mark,

Give this a try as it worked for me and I didn't need any software on my iPad to make it work:

Make your design in Woodturner PRO and then click the Summary View button. Then click 'Export to Excel' and save the csv file to disk. Then email it to yourself and and open the attachment from your iPad. It should open in an Excel-like viewer. It won't be editable, but it will have all the information that is on the Summary View.

It would surprise me to see an segmenting application with much power developed for the iPad. Since the apps have to be sold on the App Store, it is hard to charge more than $5.99 and have it accepted by Apple. Since segmenting is a very niche market (we're trying our best to change this), the cost to develope it would be far more than any potential revenue. I suppose someone could do it just to see if they could, but it would not be simple.

Another option, although I nave not tried this, is to use Parallels on a MacBook which would allow you to run the software on the Mac and then use the Parallels iPad app to take control of the MacBook.

MacOS and iOS are coming closer together and I'm sure that they will be merged sometime soon and if you can develope a single application that would run on the entire Apple line would make it a more viable alternative.

I keep hoping for a new solution that will let you write an application with a code base that can then be compiled for a Mac or a PC, but there is nothing that is prime time right now.

Lloyd

As of several months ago there is a full version of all the MS Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) available as free downloads from the ITunes Store. You can import files into them from the iTunes file sharing section. If you have Office 365 you can register your iPad (you get 5 device registrations with the "Home" version). If registered then your documents are editable and you can save to the iCloud (Onedrive.) If not registered the files are view only.
Wayne

Is that still available. All I can find is spreadsheet that is compatible with excel but nothing that has all the Microsoft products or I'm not searching the right thing

I just went to the app store for Apple and did a search for Microsoft. All the apps are there. I don't know where you are looking, but try again.
Wayne

I can't thank you guys enough. Just one more question, is there any way for me to email the info from woodturner pro to my iPad without putting it into excel first and open it if I get the excel app on my iPad first

I can't thank you guys enough. Just one more question, is there any way for me to email the info from woodturner pro to my iPad without putting it into excel first and open it if I get the excel app on my iPad first

Yes (almost). Create your vessel and then click the Summary View and then go File > Export to Excel. This will save your file as a .csv file, but you don't need to open it in Excel. Just email (or message) that .csv file to you iPad and then double-click it when you get to your iPad. It 'should' open it in a .csv viewer that will show you columns. It won't be editable, but it should give you everything you need.

Please try it and report back your findings. This works perfectly for me and I will use it often as my iPad seldom leaves my side.

If you go to the App Store and search for 'csv' you'll see a number of .csv viewers. Some are free and the rest are cheap. I have not tried any of them, but they should all give more power than the free .csv viewer that appears to be on all iPads.

Lloyd

Hey guys I can't thank you enough for all the help. I was able to get the cut summery over to my iPad but I need help with one more thing, is there any way to get the cut directions for lamination pro over to a iPad. I tried to send the file and it comes through but it won't let me open it to view it

Mark,
Unfortunately, there will be issues getting the word-wrapped, text-based instructions into a csv (column-based) output. I can do it, but the csv solution that displays it will most likely not display it correctly and so I think a better solution is needed.

My recommendation is to get one of the free PDF printers installed on your computer and then just print to it from Lamination PRO to a pdf file and then email that to yoru iPad. It's easy and free to do and will give you a fully formatted printout with an image instead of simple text. Search for 'free pdf printer'. It is best to read a few reviews first.

Lloyd

I'm sorry to ask but could I get a recommendation on a free PDF printer site. I have no idea on what they are talking about when I look at the sites and I just need one that will work with lamination pro and then on how to use it. I sorry for all the questions but I'm really horrible when it comes to computers and technology, if it not already there and done for me with computers I'm completely hopeless.

Since I use Adobe Acrobat which is certainly not free :-<, I have limited knowledge about any of the free offerings. However, I have used pdfCreator through the years and it still has high reviews so if I were starting from scratch, I would consider that product. It is a SourceForge product which means that it is open source and downloaded from a reliable source.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Beware of any free software product, though. When you install any of these, the installation is likely to have you install software you don't want or need as this is the only way they get any funds except for donations. Also make sure that when you click the 'Download' button that it is for pdfCreator and not something else.

Lloyd

Mr. Johnson and Mr. Miller I can't thank you guy enough for all the help. Everything worked perfectly. I down loaded a PDF printer and converted all the files into PDF and I have everything I need to do my first project with these programs on my iPad I was even able to get the ring view somewhat converted but for some reason I can't resize some of the ring pages so when they convert into a PDF it doesn't show all the information on the edge length and stuff like that but that really doesn't matter to me because all I really need at this point is the cut summary.
The programs are awesome and again I thank everyone for all the help:
Mark

Back