• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Staved turnings

Guy Bratt

PRO Member
Hello I have a question on the WP suite. Is there a way to show staved vessels in WP? I know the shape is very basic but I was hopping to utilize the wood species/color portion to get a better idea of my projects look. Also can it be used to calculate compound miters?

Guy

Hi Guy,
You can do both compound staves and compound segments. If you work at it, you can have both of these ring types make the identical segment, but there is a distinct difference. As the name implies, a stave is typically cut mostly parallel to the grain and a compound segment is cut across the grain. Woodturner PRO calculates these differently. With a compound stave, you specify the height, upper outside diameter and lower outside diameter and the software solves for the slope.
With the compound segment, you specify the slope, the upper outside diameter and the lower outside diameter and the software solves for the height.
When deciding which of the two ring types to use, you first have to decide which is easier for you to control. For example, I often cut compound segments by starting with a wedge that has a slope of 40 degrees (for example. By attaching that wedge to my miter fence, I lay the board on the wedge which places it at the slope it will be when the ring is assembled. Because it is in the proper orientation, I can set my miter gauge at a known stop of, say, 22.5 degrees and not tip the blade. I find this to be much more accurate than a miter angle of 14.24 degrees with a blade tilt of 14.24 degrees.
Before I make this cut, I'll cut two opposing long edges so that the board looks like a parallelogram from the end. The angle to make these cuts is 90 - the slope (90 - 40 = 50). I typically make these cuts on the bandsaw. When you place the board on the wedge, a sawn surface should be flat on the table and the adjacent surface will be flat on the wedge. You then make your first cut and flip the board edge-to-edge to make the next cut and so on.
The beauty of this approach is that when you assemble this ring, it will already be flat on the top and the bottom.
Let me know if any of this isn't clear.
Lloyd

Back