• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Grain direction

reg7777

PRO Member
I have been turning for about 6 years now, watched video, read books, and I am confused about using Lamination Pro to design segment rings. If I make the cuts and glue the designs together, am I not creating segment rings thet do not have "same direction" wood grain?

Virtually all feature rings are made by stacking pieces of wood at angles using any number of different techniques. The angles are typically 45 degrees or less and so you are still gluing side grain to side grain. The beauty of multi-generation laminations is that with all the cuts, the long fibers have been sliced and diced so many times that you really don't have any concerns about wood movement. This is especially true because of all the glue joints which are stronger than the wood itself.

The only time I've seen issues with multi-generation laminations in segmented woodturnings is when you make a disk from radial segments where all points meet at the center. It is hard to make this disk perfectly and I usually cut a hole in the center at a slight angle and plug it with an angled plug.

Lloyd

One thing that I do, though, is whenever I use vertical spacers, I always do it by crosscutting wood so that the grain of those elements always runs around the bowl with side grain glued to side grain.

Back