• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

tools needed for turning

C

coop_dvm

I am just getting started with wood turning and want to also do segmental turning. What chisels would you folks recommend for both?
Also am thinking of getting the powermatic lathe, any thoughts?

Thanks

For my two cents, I the the Powermatic line is great and certainly would make a wonderful lathe for both segmented and solid turning.

As for woodturnings, I always advised using tools that can make shear cuts as opposed to brute force tools such as scrapers. Shear cuts, such as those from a bowl gouge remove wood by cutting through the wood fibers and this results in a much gentler treatment of the vessel and leaves a finish that requires much less sanding. Having said that, if you make segmented bowls from closed-segment rings. The glue joints will be stronger than the wood itself and so you gentle handling isn't usually a problem. If you make open segment vessels, though, a light touch is absolutely required or you'll be picking up pieces from the floor.

Now it can be argued that a scraper, sharpened correctly, does make a shear cut because it is the raised burr that makes the cut which is similar to that of a carbide cutter like is found on an 'Eliminator'-style tool. While that is true, unless a well-formed burr is presented to the wood at a proper angle, it becomes a very agressive cut and can result in digging into the wood. Most people don't raise a burr correctly and so the scraper becomes more of a brute force device that will remove wood if you apply enough pressure.

You can have much success using one of the newer carbide cutter tools. They are easy to use and 'usually' reduces the chance for a catch, but I don't think that they are a substitute for a well-sharpened gouge. I also think they take away some of the challenge of being a woodturner and the time spent learning proper sharpening techniques, stance, presentation, etc., is always time well spent.

Welcome to segmented turning and to this community. You'll find an awful lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Lloyd

Before you invest thousands on a big lathe like the Powermatic (which is a great lathe), I would suggest a more modest investment in a mini or midi lathe which are great for learning. They are also great to have even if you later buy a big lathe. I'm sorry I sold my Jet mini. As for tools: Do not buy more tools than you need for a given project. I would not suggest buying a set as you will end up with tools you hardly ever use. I like high speed steel. there are many good brands. the UK units are Crown (powdered metal ) and Sorby. Also, the tools from Penn State come from Sheffield but they are cheaper. Join a club and borrow tools to see what you like before you buy. After you have a lathe I say the next thing you need is a sharpening system. If you cannot sharpen your tools it becomes very difficult, if not, impossible to turn. Most people buy a slow speed grinder and a Wolverine system. I prefer a belt system like the Sorby. If you go for a grinder, many people are loving the newer CBN wheels. Have I confused you yet? Again, take it slow and find a club or another turner to work with. Just my $.02. Wayne

A lot has been said about tools above so I'll forgo adding my two cents worth - all that was said was valid and good. On the subject of a lathe - you mentioned a Powermatic - well first off - if you can throw that amount of money at a lathe then go for it but we aware that it's a lot of lathe and you'll probably use little of it's potential - at least at the start. The Powermatic has a lot of capacity - with up to 20 inches of turning diameter available. Most people seldom turn anything larger then about 10 inches in Dia. Not to say that you wouldn't eventually turn something larger but realistically - I would suggest you follow Wayne's suggestion and start with a smaller lathe - perhaps a Delta midi lathe and work up from there. Get to know the lathe before you jump to a bigger one. And as a side advantage, it doesn't hurt to have two lathes - one for smaller projects and one for those big vessels you want to work on. Ok? good luck.

Back