• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Feature ring segments

rtaylor

PRO Member
Once you have a lamination glued up and ready for segment cutting how are the segments cut so that the design is centered up within each segment? I am allowing for plenty of clearance between designs and I should not need a wedge. I would asume that each one must be precisely layed out in pencil and then each one is carefully cut. But never have done it I have no clue. I sure will appreciate your advice. Thanks

Once you have a lamination glued up and ready for segment cutting how are the segments cut so that the design is centered up within each segment? I am allowing for plenty of clearance between designs and I should not need a wedge. I would asume that each one must be precisely layed out in pencil and then each one is carefully cut. But never have done it I have no clue. I sure will appreciate your advice. Thanks

Got a question.

Are you wanting to cut our segments on a table saw using a cutting sled? Or are you using a miter/chop saw?

If you are cutting with the TS sled.

If you cut the laminate into individual blocks before cutting the miter
Find the center of your feature design and mark it.
Mark on your fence 1/2 of the segment length needed. (ex. 2 inch SL = 1 inch mark from the saw kerf line on the fence)
Line the center mark on the segment with the SL line and cut the miter (ie. your miter table fence is already set to desired angle).
do this for all segments.
flip the segment and relign on the mark on the fence. Set a stop block and cut the rest.
Here is an example of Jrodgers making and cutting thunderbirds.

Jim Rodgers' Designs in Wood, Making Patterns

As far as cutting the laminate in the flip/flop method.
find the center of the feature
layout the first miter and cut.
place a stop block on the TS fence at the SL needed
flip laminate and cut, repeat fliping and cutting.

It is always good to cut a practice piece to make sure everthing is set up correctly.

Back