• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Using Rubber Bands

David Moore

PRO Member
I've just began my first attempt at an open segment turning and found a bit of trouble using a rubber band to hold the segments together. I think part of my problem was the rubber bands I was using were too tight. I managed to stretch one enough that I think it is working. This is a relatively small ring (4 inches or so) so I'm wondering about having rubber bands for the larger rings. I have some big bands I picked up at Rockler for another project but they are too wide. Anyone have a source for fairly narrow rubber bands with big circumference in various sizes? I checked at my local Office Max but their rubber bands are all pretty small.

P.S. I tried using a hose clamp like I've used for closed segment turnings but found the adjustment mechanism didn't fit properly over the ridges in the seg. plate.

David,
I have found that not using rubber bands works just fine. If your angles are correct, you can just push the segment into place with reasonable force and it will stay in place just fine. Here is the key to cutting the segments so that they will fit perfectly:

If you are using the 18-segment plate, set the Auto Open Segment Gap percentage to 20%. This will cause the cutting angle to be 8 degrees. If you're using the 24-segment plate, change the percentage to 27% which will make the angle 5.5 degrees.

The plates have these degrees engraved into them, so just remember this - for 18 segments, ALWAYS use a cutting angle of 8 degrees and for 24-segments, ALWAYS use a cutting angle of 5.5 degrees.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. That did cross my mind that maybe just pushing them in firmly would work. I did use 8 degrees for my 18 segment plate and it does seem like they are fitting correctly as they do seem to be making a reasonably even circle. On another subject, I guess you are waiting until you get a definite price for the closed segment jig? Or are you making a list of people that want one from the first batch. If you are, put me on it!

David,

I expect to have the Longworth Centering Jigs available on January 17th. The price will be $89 plus shipping.

I will put you on a pre-order list.

Lloyd

Back