• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Hi! New to this Forum

Jimsworkshop.net

PRO Member
Hello to all! My name is Jim. I am not a wood turner. Yet. I have a Nova DVR XP and I have made a few things, mostly pens, a few salt/pepper mills, and some bottle stoppers and tree ornaments. I make mostly small boxes, some with marquetry, some with veneer, and some using just pretty wood. I have a web site - www.jimsworkshop.net - that you can visit if you want to see some of my work.

Occasionally, a box needs round legs and I need to make them. So, I turn these small things (pens, etc) just to keep proficient enough to be able to make the spindles I need for my boxes. I don’t have a grinder and I use only carbide-tip tools. I have made 3 bowls, but that was years ago when I bought my first mini-lathe (a Jet) and a cheap “set” of lathe tools. I gave them all away 2 years ago to a 14 yr old boy who wanted to learn.

My daughter asked me if I could make a yarn bowl for her mother-in-law. Well, these require a fairly large blank - at least 7” sq by 4” thick. After trying unsuccessfully to find one that size that didn’t require a refinance, I though about the process some more. I thought: when you buy a large block of wood at great expense and then carefully turn about 90% into shavings, you are doing a very wasteful thing. What if you could take a board, say cherry or walnut, and cut that board into segments which you glue together into rings, and... Well, you know the rest.

So here I am trying to learn a new technique just to make a few yarn-bowls. I completed one bowl using 8 segments per ring following an article in Woodworker’s Journal. After about a million test cuts to get my dubby jig set correctly, I was able to get it made. I realized that if I was going to be able to make any more, I needed some tools to make this a fun task and not a frustrating endeavor. I made another post today that show the sled I came up with. Check it out. Now I’m waiting for some steel band clamps to arrive via UPS so I glue up the pieces for by next attempt at a bowl that could become a yarn-bowl. Wish me luck please.

Picture of FIRST Attempt:961BC7D3-7B43-4ACF-A740-B7F57F0C2EC0.jpeg961BC7D3-7B43-4ACF-A740-B7F57F0C2EC0.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.
Seems you are well set up for doing wood working. Ask questions. There are a some experienced turners here.

If you haven't take a look at the the seg-easy site.
Segmentology (segeasy.com)

Most of the turners I know have gone to this method for closed segment bowls.

Have fun.

Back