• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Completely “closed” ring

Rick Wize

PRO Member
How would I use segment pro to calculate a ring that is “closed” in the middle? In other words an outer diameter of let’s say “6” and an inner diameter of “0”?

WTP (WoodTurner Pro) would be more suited for your design. In WTP you can set the parameters for each ring. The best you can do in SP is change the wall width. By doing so all rings are changed to a wall width of 6" in SP.

Not sure what you need to calculate. If the diameter of the ring is "6". You would need a board 3" wide to have a 0 ID (inside) diameter.

Last edited:
Mike is correct on all points but I do have a suggestion. The board width to meet the center is half of the diameter, but I would make the board a little wider - about a quarter of an inch. Make sure that your Segment Edge Length is correct for your desired diameter and then when you flip the board, each of your segments will have sharp point where the center will be. Getting all of these center points to meet perfectly will be a challenge, but doable.

I have heard of but not experienced the problem of solid circles eventually cracking due to wood movement and this was the reason floating disc bottoms were developed. Has this problem been solved to any degree?

I have heard of but not experienced the problem of solid circles eventually cracking due to wood movement and this was the reason floating disc bottoms were developed. Has this problem been solved to any degree?

Floating disc bottom is the safest. If I remember correctly solid disc bottoms of 5" or less are not much of an issue. The more stable the wood and keeping it the same enviroment (RH%) helps. Taking a bowl from the Pacific Northwest Coast to the desert of Arizona many cause problems. lol.

Here’s one reason why segmented rings with no inside diameter can separate.

Standard closed rings are not very strong because the joints are mostly end grain to end grain. The strength comes when the flat grain of a segmented ring is glued to the flat grain of the next ring. This practically guarantees that there won’t be any cracks in normal circumstances.

A ring with no inside diameter only benefits from the side grain gluing at the outside diameter of the ring.

I have made several bowls with rings like this and have never had one separate. However, I live in Oregon where the humidity does not cause problems like you would see in other climates across the country. If you live in one of them, a floating disk is worth the effort.

Back