Cutting rings

mfisher

Super Moderator
Staff member
When cuttings rings, Rockwell bladerunner or bandsaw? Which is recommended? Thank you
This is a pretty broad question. The better the equipment the more accurate the cuts are going to be.
I have never used a Rockwell bladerunner.

For a bowl from a board the rings can be cut with a good scroll saw. You still need a table saw to cut your blanks. A bandsaw can also be used to cut the rings, but you have to cut them in half to cut the inside diameter.

For segment bowls I like to use a table saw and a good miter sled. The segeasy method of cutting has become popular. Segments can be cut with a table saw, miter saw or bandsaw.
Title: Seg-Easy Solutions

If you are just getting into bowl making (segments) I recommend you check out some vids on the topic. There are also some good books by Malcolm Tibbits or Ray Allen on the subject.

I would research the equipment you are thinking of purchasing. Buy within your budget. Upgrade when you can.

Art Bodwell

PRO Member
I had a bladerunner and sold it. I didn't like what for me was a lack of control for cuts. I would never try to cut rings from a board with it. To directly answer your question, the bandsaw is a far better solution, even with cutting them in half. The scroll saw is good and eliminates the need to cut them in half. I had success cutting the rings on the lathe by mounting the board on a face plate and using a shop made thin parting tool. It does require care and some edge clamps but worked will for me.

Woodsmith

PRO Member
I had a bladerunner and sold it. I didn't like what for me was a lack of control for cuts. I would never try to cut rings from a board with it. To directly answer your question, the bandsaw is a far better solution, even with cutting them in half. The scroll saw is good and eliminates the need to cut them in half. I had success cutting the rings on the lathe by mounting the board on a face plate and using a shop made thin parting tool. It does require care and some edge clamps but worked will for me.
Thank you Art for the response. You are right, I returned my bladerunner and now I use the lathe also.