Wedgie-Less Segment Sled

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell or Trade' started by Pete M, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Pete M

Pete M PRO Member

I am currently testing my prototype wedgie-less sled, results are very good. I expect to start making them in two to three weeks. Will post a picture then. The cost will be in the neighborhood of $125. No wedgies will be required. See attached photo of 24 seg. test ring.
    20190201_172114.jpg

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Will be interesting to see a photo of the sled.
    I have had pretty good success using a digital protractor to set the seg-easy sled fence angle.

3. Pete M

Pete M PRO Member

Here is a preview of the sled. it uses index pins for the different settings. The light colored balls are the knobs for the index pins. Unfortunately the phenolic coating on the sled is too slippery. Need to do something different.
    20190209_185649.jpg

4. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley PRO Member

Try sandpaper on the faces of the arms for traction on the wood for the cut

5. Pete M

Pete M PRO Member

Attached is a picture of a 48 seg. ring 9-1/8" diameter. It was run through the drum sander but not glued. I believe I am ready to go to press with this version. Will post specs and price in a day or two.
    20190211_205449.jpg

6. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley PRO Member

Ever decide on a solution to the slippery surface?

7. Pete M

Pete M PRO Member

Good quality sandpaper

8. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley PRO Member

Will these be set up with a runner for a particular saw brand or is it guided by the fence?

9. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

One issue I see in the design is the pin holes wearing over time, thereby producing some error in the angle. If the holes have metal inserts that may reduce the wear and possible errors.

10. Pete M

Pete M PRO Member

Once the pins are inserted and the fences locked down the pins can be removed so there will be no side loading on them. There is no room to add metal inserts due to the closeness of some of the holes. I can make it out of a different material but that would drive the cost up significantly. I am trying to make it affordable.

11. Tom Dlugosh

Tom Dlugosh PRO Member

Are you planning to up the segment count in the future?