• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

simple disc in Lamination Pro

Ed Reed

PRO Member
Are there any video tutorials for how to produce a simple 1st generation disk in Lamination Pro? I'm struggling trying to make a disk with equally spaced chevrons.

Thanks

Not sure of a vid. Have you read the help portion of LP?

"Radial segments are cut in a manner that the number of segments shown in the Segment Selection Control will create a perfect disc. Pushing the Radial button displays the saw kerf positions on the board currently in the Viewport. "

Not sure of a vid. Have you read the help portion of LP?

"Radial segments are cut in a manner that the number of segments shown in the Segment Selection Control will create a perfect disc. Pushing the Radial button displays the saw kerf positions on the board currently in the Viewport. "

I read the same thing but it's not helpful. My cut pieces come out with too much variation to make a perfect circle and the chevrons are not equally sized.

I am not sure of any vids. Hopefully Bob or Lloyd will respond. I have made chevrons with LP, but I have not made a disk. Good luck. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

I opened the "Sweetheart Clock" sample file, clicked on the first gen button, then the disc button to see the results as if I only did a first gen glue up. By playing with the lamination width and degrees of cut, the pattern can be changed easily. As always, having the lamination strips being as even thickness as possible will give the best results.

I opened the "Sweetheart Clock" sample file, clicked on the first gen button, then the disc button to see the results as if I only did a first gen glue up. By playing with the lamination width and degrees of cut, the pattern can be changed easily. As always, having the lamination strips being as even thickness as possible will give the best results.

I'm able to create the first gen lamination fine. I glue the pieces up in pairs so that my chevrons come out equal. Then I glue those pairs into new pairs of two chevrons and so on until I get my completed lamination. My problem occurs after that when I try to create the disk. No matter what I seem to do, the chevrons in my wedges are never equal and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. By never equal I mean one side of the chevron is always wider than the other. So in my disk, the chevrons never line up from wedge to wedge. I've tried to cut the disk wedges with both my wedgie sled and my incra miter1000/hd but i'm not getting it.

A video or some very detailed instructions would be extremely helpful.

I guess I need to see a picture of what the issue is. When I glue up chevrons, I try and do them all at once. I line up the tips of the chevrons with a ruler instead of relying on the tips of the cut pieces. Accuracy in cutting is imperative. I also use digital calipers to measure the width of all cut pieces and try for less than .005" difference.

I guess I need to see a picture of what the issue is. When I glue up chevrons, I try and do them all at once. I line up the tips of the chevrons with a ruler instead of relying on the tips of the cut pieces. Accuracy in cutting is imperative. I also use digital calipers to measure the width of all cut pieces and try for less than .005" difference.
This is representative of the problem I have. My chevrons are even when I build my lamination, but when I go to cut the wedges for the disk they are not even in both sides.
IMG_20181029_150030.jpg

Now I get it. You are right, the lamination glue up looks good. This wedge looks like the cuts are not being made through the center of the incline/decline designs. In the software example, click on the "radial" button (1st gen) and the cut lines show going through the exact center of the inclines/declines. I draw cut lines on the centers of each. It takes longer, but helps me to stay consistent. For what its worth, I usually don't use an indexer or stop. Too many variables for me, I line up the cut line manually each time to keep from creeping away from the design.

Thanks for the response.

I saw the red lines in the software and the instruction to "Cut through intersections of red lines" but there are no dimensions as to where those red lines intersect. Just eyeballing it isn't working for me. I need some dimensions to use to get to the intersection of those red lines.

This is my first attempt at using LP. I'm much more familiar with WTP. In WTP it tells you the edge length of each wedge so it's very easy to get the correct size wedge. I'm not finding LP to be as easy to use as WTP and it's frustrating me. Especially after screwing up two completed lamination of some very expensive exotic wood. I really wish there was a video to show me the right way to do it because I'm struggling.

Thanks again.

There are no dimensions, you have to draw the red lines on the repeating units yourself. I'm sure there is a mathematical dimension that can be had, but cutting through the dead center of each unit is more accurate than using an edge length. That is the only way to be sure the pattern is centered in the wedge. The positioning of the pattern is more important than the edge length.

Here is a presentation that Lloyd made using the radial cuts. Maybe this will help explain some of the concepts in a different way. Keep working at it, it will come together.

Attachments

• Radial Segments.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Back