• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.
  • Due to a scam attack, the gallery is temporarily turned off. I am working to get this fixed but I have some other things that are higher prioriity. I do hope to have it back soon and there shouldn't be any changes to the content. At least, that is the hope.

glueing thin rings

rtaylor

PRO Member
What is the best way to glue thin rings together and keep them flat? For thicker rings I use blue tape and then clamp with a band clamp then drum sand them flat. I am having trouble with the thinner rings. My feature ring needs to have about 10 rows of 1/8 inch thick rings. They are stacked and offset to make my design. I thought I would seek advice before I get started. I'm sure many out there have done this before.:):)

Generally I make my 1/8" ring from slightly larger material. I glue up pairs to make half rings. I check the 1/2 rings for a good fit, sand on a disk sander to ensure the segments have no gaps. When the half rings are glued together I may use a rubber band for tension. To keep them flat I may put them in a press or a board that covers the full ring and put a 10lb weight on top. Once dried, they are ran through the drum sander down to the 1/8" size.

Most of my bowls are mounted on a face plate. With using a face plate it is very easy to assemble a ring, flatten one side, glue the ring to the vessel. A press can be used to keep the ring flat. The Stomper is one method. Once dried the vessel can be put on the lathe and the top part of the ring is sanded flat. Unmount and repeat.

Generally I make my 1/8" ring from slightly larger material. I glue up pairs to make half rings. I check the 1/2 rings for a good fit, sand on a disk sander to ensure the segments have no gaps. When the half rings are glued together I may use a rubber band for tension. To keep them flat I may put them in a press or a board that covers the full ring and put a 10lb weight on top. Once dried, they are ran through the drum sander down to the 1/8" size.

Most of my bowls are mounted on a face plate. With using a face plate it is very easy to assemble a ring, flatten one side, glue the ring to the vessel. A press can be used to keep the ring flat. The Stomper is one method. Once dried the vessel can be put on the lathe and the top part of the ring is sanded flat. Unmount and repeat.
Thanks for the reply. Do you just use tape to hold the half rings until dry or just press the segments together and flatten them with weight. I am going to give this a try.

In building the half rings I just hold the glued pairs for 15-20 seconds then set them down to dry. The only time I use a weight is when I put the two halves together. I sometimes use a rubber band or tape to hold the halves tight before adding the weight on top. When gluing the segments together I make sure they are flat against my gluing board.

One reason I went to a thicker segment was to reduce the "warping" that can occur with thinner wood. In my experience it also creates a stronger bond between segments. I would rather build thick and reduce. Yeah, it waste wood and takes more sanding to get to 1/8 or thinner. But I have time. (lol).

Back