• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Another Newbie

S

stevie

Hello everyone, New to WTP and SP, have been doing some pen turning and have developed a love for the look and beauty of segment turnings. Have purchased the suit of WTP/SP and hope to gain an understating of how to design feature rings and segment layouts in my first designs.
If no-one minds I may ask a lot of questions about how to do this.

Welcome to WTP.
Asking questions is a way we all learn. Please do post your questions. People are very friendly here. I tend to go by the saying the only dumb question is the one not asked. WTP forum is a great place to share experiences and learn about the art of segmenting.

imo, Lloyd's suite of software is the gold standard for segment designing. Take the time to look at the vids Lloyd has put together for the software. Reviewing them is a great place to start. I use both WTP and SP, I like the control WTP provides, but I really like the paint feature in SP. Sometimes I will design a vessel in SP. Then manually build the same vessel in WTP. Then tweak ring height, etc.

Have fun. One thing for sure. Segment vessel making is habit forming. Take advantage of posting your work in the gallery.

Welcome to the forum, your going to love segmenting. Any questions we are all here to help so don't be afraid to ask

Stevie,
You've come to the right place to ask questions about segmenting. Thanks to users like Mike and Bob, this has become a place where you can get answers from people that just want to help others.

You should also consider going to the Segmented Woodturners bi-annual symposium that will be held October 12-14 in St. Louis, MO. There is no better way to learn than to learn from demonstrators that have been teaching segmenting for many years. Both Bob and I are on the board of directors of this organization and we are committed to making the primary focus of the symposium be on segmenters that are just getting started. For more information, go to Title: Home - Segmented Woodturners. I'll be conducting four rotations this year and during the times that I'm not demonstrating, I will be at my booth in the vendor fair answering questions giving demonstrations of the software.

One other suggestion I have is to start Woodturner PRO and click on Help > Woodturner PRO Help. Years ago, software had help files that were user manuals. What you will find here is an old one that I have left because it has a nice introduction to segmenting along with drawings. In the past few years, user manuals have gone the way of the DoDo bird and have been replaced with video tutorials. This is good because practically no one ever read the user manuals and they were expensive and time-consuming to make and they went out-of-date almost immediately. Video tutorials are a much better way to learn if you can find the right ones to watch.

Lloyd

Been going over the software and trying to get an understanding of it. Which would be best to start learning with I feel that it would be WTP. I have a friend that has a cabinet shop and he has been saving me hi cut-off and end pieces. I plan to use these to learn turning and working with segments.
I have purchased the "Accu-Wedge" system. I know it was $$$ but I want to turn this into something I can pass on to the grands. Does anyone have any small projects they are willing to share?
Sorry if i posted this in wrong place just let me know.
Thanks for the advice Lloyd, have found a couple of videos about WTP/SP are they more? Having hard time finding them. I know I'm over looking them.
Again thanks

Stevie. Your good. This is a good as place to start asking questions. Later, you should consider asking them in a specific forum. The accu-wedge is very good at making segments.

There are quite a few tutorials under the Software forum
Title: Software | Woodturner PRO

Here is one that is specific in explaining the differences between WTP and SP.
Title: Differences between Woodturner PRO and Segment PRO

imo, WTP provides more control for height of rings, adding rings, etc. SP is better at "painting" a design for the vessel. It is also much faster in creating a vessel. I use both. Some of my plans I design in SP, then recreate in WTP and tweak the ring height.

As far as projects. There is a forum for SP at
Title: Shared Profiles and Plans for Segment PRO

For WTP plans contributed by members
Title: Member Contributed Projects Forum

From your post it sounds like you are new to turning. Let me know what your interested in for a small project and I will see what I can provide. You can also use SP to quickly create a vessel. Check the novice setting.

Have been working through trying to learn how to get around and come-up with some simple designs.
not sure how to make a feature ring. not that I'm going to make one right away but would like to know how they are designed in the software.

Many featured rings are designed outside of the software. One exception is if a design can be made in LP or SP (Painting segments). All of them are brought in as a "custom species" into WTP or SP. What that does is allow you to see what the design would look like within the vessel you want to build.

I would suggest joining a wood club who have members who do segmented vessels. You also could look for books on segmented turning. The internet also has many vids. Here is an example search.
Title: featured ring segmented turings - Google Search

Last edited:
Back