• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Altering offset between rows

Kona_Tom

PRO Member
The default offset between segment rows is 50%. Is it possible to change that? I'd like to offset vertical spacers by just a few degrees between rows to visualize the resulting swirl pattern in "Vessel View".

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is the number one enhancement that is on my list but I'm not quite ready to start on it. It will be a great feature but it touches nearly 50% of the software code and will require a significant investment in programming fees. The concept is simple, but it is a dramatic change in how the various row types are drawn today. Since it changes the underlying data structure, it changes all the Views, the user interface, the file storage routines, printouts, etc. You are not the first person to have requested this, though, and I would certainly use it myself.

There is a way to do zero rotation today, though. You can change a row's height from whatever it is to zero so it will no longer be visible. The row above it will now appear to have a zero rotation. A good way to experiment with this is to add a bunch of rows to a test vessel and the select every other row with Ctrl-clicks and then change the row height to zero.

I'm hopeful I can start on the actual enhancement later this year.

Lloyd

Lloyd;
Just introduced myself to your software yesterday. Ran smack into this limitation. Just thought you sould know. It's really something I would consider necessary and I haven't yet completed my cutting sled or turned segmented bowl #1 yet!
To your credit - this software has the polish others lack. The Math is a given, the visual presentation and clean screen organization is what sets this apart. I like what you've done so far. Keep up the great work.
Dave B

Tom...Here's a work around, that I think might work...it will at least let you visualize what you want to see. I have tried it, and it seems to work for me.

Let's say you want to have the offset at the 1/4 point...rather than the normal 1/2 point. Let's also say your normal rings have 16 segments. For the layers you want to offset, double the number of segments in the offset ring using WTP...make it 32 segments. The "offset" for the joints with the adjacent (16 segment) ring will be exactly 1/4 the length of the longer segments in the 16 segment ring. You can continue with 32 segment rings in your design, and the offsets will continue to happen at the 1/4 points (in relation to the original 16 segment ring). Then, you can color each of segments in your 32 segment ring by pairs...resulting in 16 pairs of segments, spiraling up the vessel. The effect is what I think you are looking for.

If you instead, make the offset ring 48 segments (3 x 16), then the offset will be 1/6 the original segment length. The math works the same for any number of multiples of the original segment length.

I know it's a rather hokey way to make it work, but it does let you visualize different offsets, without having to wait for the program to be upgraded.

Back