Wood supplier's

Discussion in 'Segmented Turnings Forum' started by Richard Bruce, May 1, 2018.

1. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

I need to find out what good wood suppliers are out there. Mine aren't getting the job done. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Bob

I had that link above yours. lol

4. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

5. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

6. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

7. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

8. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

My candy store in Portland, Oregon is Gilmer Wood Products. Miles Gilmer has three large warehouses stacked floor-to-ceiling with exotic woods. At one time, they were the premier seller of wood to the major music instrument manufacturers. Today, they sell heavily through their online store at Title: Gilmer Wood Company. Another source for exotic woods (also in Oregon) is Cook Woods at Title: Exotic Woods & Hardwoods of the World | Cook Woods.

For open segment turning, I almost always buy from eBay where I search for 'thin lumber'. There are manufacturers that only sell through eBay and they thickness sand their lumber primarily to 1/4", 3/8" in sizes and quantities that will fit in USPS Flat Rate boxes. You can always get maple, walnut and cherry but can often get exotics as well. On a shelf by my table saw, I have a section for 1/4" and 3/8" with different species and I grab and go. Buying the wood this way is far less expensive than buying through a big box store like Rockler or Woodcraft and the time savings over milling the lumber yourself makes it very worthwhile to me.

Lloyd

9. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have family there and go there several times a year. I will bring my trailer next time and see if I can get some different pieces.

10. mariop

mariop New Member

Over the years I've purchased quite a bit of wood from West Penn Hardwoods. They have fantastic sales on very exotic woods. Their prices are very attractive; right now there's a sale of 50% off on bocote and ebony.
    Title: - West Penn Hardwoods

Richard Bruce likes this.
  11. Richard Bruce

Richard Bruce PRO Member

Thanks for the lead. I am putting a list of woods I want to use on my next few projects I will check them out.

12. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson New Member

CHECK OUT www.scroungersparidise.com They are located in Asheville NC if anyone is local

13. Arlin Eastman

Arlin Eastman Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019