• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Hi. New here but have been talking to Lloyd for 8 months now

A

Arlin Eastman

I have not started segmented turning yet, but I did get all three of Lloyds software tutorials. I have dial up computer so everything goes really slow if I download anything.

I am a disabled vet from a bombing in the middle east and was in the hospital for a 8 months before going home to stay prone in a hospital bed for another 6 months.
So while I was in the hospital my wife brought me Del Stubbs DVD and when the VA told me to I had to do a hobby I chose wood turning and have not looked back unless it was other woodworking as well. :)
I have been turning since 2010 and teaching other vets for almost 4 years now and whatever I learn they learn.

They grow frustrated in the learning process since I have a small garage and can only do one person at a time or when I am at the VA Dr. or in the hospital.
I do learn slowly due to brain damage from the bombing so if I ask a lot of questions it is because I do not understand what you mean.
For 7 years I went to the VA for reading, writing, and cognitive thinking all over again and I have been done with that for almost 3 years.

I am more then willing to learn and I think I can learn something from anyone.

I have not started segmented turning yet, but I did get all three of Lloyds software tutorials. I have dial up computer so everything goes really slow if I download anything.
.snip...
I am more then willing to learn and I think I can learn something from anyone.
Thought a greeting from Norway would be ok. Me too have just started here and I am into the job making jigs, setup for Bob's system and more. I am just a novise on segment turning.
Nice to be here and digging into my workshop is better then outside at the moment. 2 feet of snow and cold.

Welcome to the fun world of segmenting. I like it because it does take time and patience to work out the designs and put them together. It gives me a chance to slow down from life and just relax for a while. Feel free to ask questions, there are many experienced woodturners here that will answer them. Above all, have fun.

Welcome to WTP forum. The software that Lloyd has written makes the planning of a segment project fun and easy. We are all here to learn from each other.

Welcome Arlin, and Thank You for your service.
If you have been working with Lloyd you have a good teacher. We are all learning here every day, and we still ask dumb questions so don't feel bad. The community here is non judgmental and everyone tries to help. As others have said there is a lot of talent and experience here and everyone like helping others. That is one of the reasons I love woodturning there are no secrets here, if someone figures out a new way of doing something they are more than willing to share. So as you learn and experience problems or questions please share them here, we are all here to help

Thought a greeting from Norway would be ok. Me too have just started here and I am into the job making jigs, setup for Bob's system and more. I am just a novise on segment turning.
Nice to be here and digging into my workshop is better then outside at the moment. 2 feet of snow and cold.

I was in Norway for 6 months back in 1996 and I loved the place and the people who were so nice. Wish I could go back but flying is out of the question for awhile longer.

Thank you everyone for the welcome. If I could ask someone to download all the tutorials on a DVD since I can not download it with dial up I would be most grateful.

Also to encourage Lloyd again on making other videos that while showing the software go slower on showing and what things he clicks on and bigger pointer so I can see where he is going.
Brain damage is not highly encouraged to get. :>)

I do have a question that I sent to Lloyd and I figure he is really busy to answer right now so I will ask here.

On the tornado Christmas ornament he used a white plastic thing to put it together with. Did he make these and are they easy to make? I was thinking it would help me and the other vets to make it easier to do open segments without a lot of thinking. Also how much does it cost to make is important also since I buy everything that is needed.

OK I have another question

I seen the Alert

What is a message, a point, and a Trophy?

I do have a question that I sent to Lloyd and I figure he is really busy to answer right now so I will ask here.

On the tornado Christmas ornament he used a white plastic thing to put it together with. Did he make these and are they easy to make? I was thinking it would help me and the other vets to make it easier to do open segments without a lot of thinking. Also how much does it cost to make is important also since I buy everything that is needed.

Arlin, I think you are talking about (Seg-Easy Plates) open segment plates. They are made by Jerry Bennett over at Title: Seg-Easy Solutions . And yes Lloyd sells them if you go over to the home page and them to hardware. You can also get them with a stomper. They are available in 12, 16, 24, 36 & 48 from Lloyd Title: SegEasy Plates | Stomper | Woodturner PRO and Jerry also sells a 18 segment

Thank you Bob. I remember now when I talked to Jerry before and he was nice enough to give me four of the angle templates. He is a nice guy and helped us a lot and so did Lloyd. We do not deserve the niceness but it sure is appreciated.

Arlin,
I think the white thing you were referring to was the PVC 4” to 3” reducer that I used to perform reverse turning to finish the ends of a turned globe. It is simple to make because you only need to drill some holes in it and then make saw kerfs to this holes using a bandsaw and then mount the device onto a waste block on your faceplate. The key is to make sure you get a PVC fitting that is Schedule 80 and not Schedule 40. Schedule 40 is thick-walled material and it does not flex like the thin-walled Schedule 80 does.

Once you build the device, though, you have to make the globe to be within 1/4” of the diameter of the opening. This isn’t hard to do if you design it in Woodturner PRO or Segment PRO to be the correct diameter.

Last edited:
Thank You Lloyd but Bob is correct and with the links I remembered that I seen them at Jerry Bennett's website.
I will have to go back and see what you are talking about and probably have questions on that to. lol

Welcome Arlin, Good to see that my LJ buddy is here too. I am also new here. I hope you enjoy it and learn some new things.

Yes Arlin, that's me. I'm ok and feeling pretty darn good thanks, but the doctor said I have to take it easy for at least two weeks. You can feel a lot more sorry for my wife. I am doing the dishes after meals though and that's about it.

Great at least you are not pestering your wife to much. LOL

Back