export / import question

Discussion in 'Current Build Information' started by sgholman, Oct 9, 2017.

1. sgholman

sgholman PRO Member

My design machine has ver 1.1.027 my shop machine is 1.1.028. export from design to shop failed. Segment PRO died. If i upgrade my design machine to 1.1.028 will it keep my current designs and upgrade them. I the early days of the software you mentioned that the database would change and designs would be lost. Want to make sure before i do the upgrade. Absolutely great software,

2. Bob Beaupre

Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I have updated to version 1.1.028 and all my designs are intact.

3. sgholman

sgholman PRO Member

Thanks for the reply Bob, i did the upgrade from 027 to 028, worked fine, the plans i made still worked. now both systems are on the same build. when i exported from design machine and imported to shop machine, it failed again. SP stopped working. Not a great big deal, just inconvenient. Any ideas? the shop system works when i load the 2 plans that come with it.

4. Bob Beaupre

If the you have problems with import you can do it manually.
    You need to turn on 'Show hidden files, and directories' if you need help let me know
    Then go to users / your users directory / Appdata / Roaming / Woodturning PRO / Segment PRO / Images /
    JasonPlans = location of your plans
    JasonProflies = locations of your profiles

Let me know if you need help

5. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

I would be interested in finding out where the failure is happening because it is a pretty simple process. The Share Export simply creates a Json file which is nothing more than a text file, and the Share Import simply copies that text file to the proper location. So even though it is a powerful feature, it is brain dead simple. My guess is that you have permissions that won't let us write to the target folder that Bob has identified.

In earlier versions, I actually maintained a database that contained records for each of the plans and profiles. The processing of this was very slow and so I opted for a model where there are simply folders and folders have text files in them. When the software starts, it opens each of the text files and populates a dynamic database that gets rebuilt everytime the software stops and starts. While not the most elegant solution, it is a simple and reliable way to handle almost anything you can throw at the software.

My experience has always been that the simplest solution is almost always the best.

If you'd like to give me a call, I can share your screen and should be able to see what is failing and why it is failing. As simple as this process is, it almost has to be permissions because that is the only thing that can keep the software from working correctly.

Lloyd

6. Lloyd Johnson

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what is failing - is it the import or the export. I'm attaching an Export file that I know is correct as it has been imported on a lot of different computers. Can you import it and let me know if it is successful?

Attached Files:

7. Bob Beaupre

Lloyd file imported just fine. What was it a set of plans or a profile?

8. sgholman

sgholman PRO Member

Hi Loyd, sorry, i've was out all day yesterday. I did import your file, it did not show up as a plan, though it did say successful import. My file that i imported does show up in plans, the picture is there but when i open the plan, SP dies. permissions would not surprise me, i'm working between a win7 machine and a win10 machine. then again, the picture did show up in plans. I would be OK with letting you on my machine. I would give you a call if i had your number.

9. sgholman

sgholman PRO Member

i have yet to test moving the files manually as described by bob, only because i was out yesterday, I will get to that soon. for a retired person, i seem to have an too much to do.

Everette likes this.
  10. sgholman

sgholman PRO Member

i tried moving the files manually as described by bob, i got a plan with no picture, it also killed SP

11. Lloyd Johnson

Sorry, but I've been in Utah for the past week teaching workshops and doing a little hiking. I'm back now so if you'd like to give me a call tomorrow (Thursday), we'll use screen sharing to see what it is you're trying to do.

My phone number is 5O3 78I 5II7 and I live in Portland, Oregon.