• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Relationship between setting seg width and final print out

Gary Clarke

PRO Member
if I set seg width at .5 inch then look at the settings print out some of the seg widths vary from 1 to over 2.5 inches. Please explain the relationship. Thanks.
Gary Clarke, new user, still learning

One of the parameters you enter in WTP or SP is the board thickness. I am assuming that your 0.5" is what your entering in the board thickness input. See the attached image. This thickness, which I think you are calling width is how tall the board is your using to cut the ring. It is not the width of the board.

How wide a board you need is calculated based on the outside and inside diameter of the ring your making. The width of the board will vary depending on your board thickness and the curvature of the bowl based on what is the bottom inside diameter of the ring and the top outside diameter of the ring. The more curvature the wider the board.

Attachments

• segment.jpg
    segment.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 5
I am not asking about board thickness. In the bowl settings there is a wall width measurement. In the summary detail there is a board width listed. What is the relationship between the two width measurements? I have been making segmented turnings for 15 years. I usually add a little extra board width to get the curve that I like. Therefore the final wall width is subject to shaping, how can a computer program predict this ahead? I am sorry I did not make my question clearer.

Didn't mean to insult. WTP doesn't have a wall thickness input. SP does.
Your question is directed at SP, correct?

Lloyd can correct me if I am wrong. The buffer of a little extra would be built into your wall thickness input.
That is, you may enter a 0.5" wall thickness, knowing your going to turn down to 0.25" thickness. Width of the board is calculated using the wall thickness you inputted , along with the bottom inside diameter and top outside diameter for the ring. It can calculate the board width.

In WTP the there is no wall thickness entry. You have to manually adjust the inside/outside diameters to get the buffer size you want. If I wanted a 8" ring, I may make the ring 8.25" , knowing I will turn it down to 8",

Yes ,my question is for SP. As I understand it, the system calculates what the final curve will look like and suggests the board thickness. Thanks, I think I get it. Now I need to try my first build using SP.

Both software are excellent. Each has its strength. Lloyd has done a great job in developing the software.

Take advantage of the gallery to post up some of your projects.

When you specify the wall thickness, you are really specifying the amount of surface area where glue exists between two rows assuming that the wall profile is perfectly vertical at that point. For example, if you have two rows where the outside and inside diameters are exactly the same and specify a wall width of .5", the glue width between those two rows will be .5". Obviously, your wall profile is curved so the software uses a LOT of trigonometry to determine what the slope of the wall profile at every row of the vessel and then calculates what the inside diameter needs to be so that you will still have a wall thickness of 5" after the vessel is turned, regardless of the profile at that elevation.

Where this gets dicey is when the wall profile changes dramatically in a short distance. I've put in a lot of code to try to accommodate this occurrence and the software does the best job it can, even though there isn't enough data available to handle every situation.

There is one important thing to consider regarding the wall profile and that is at the bottom of the bowl where the rows have to transition from a narrow profile to become wider at the base. The next to the last dot is what tells the software where to start this transition. If you place that dot near the bottom, only the bottom or two segmented rows will be used in the transition. If you move that dot along the profile so that it is two inches from the bottom, you'll see that the transition to wider segments will start at two inches from the bottom of the bowl. This is hard to describe but easy to demonstrate. Just open any profile and move the next-to-last dot to be higher on the wall profile and watch what happens to the bottom of the bowl.

Lloyd

Back