Stave

Discussion in 'Woodturner PRO Support Forum' started by vrbradley, Apr 29, 2017.

1. vrbradley

vrbradley PRO Member

Its been so long i Forgot how to design a vessel using stave construction, anyone have a hint to get me started?
    thanks, Brad

2. mfisher

mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi V.
    Your not alone. I forget things that I don't do often.
    In WTP build your vessel. Remember default is a flat ring. Shown in the upper left of the screen. It is a drop down menu.

-Select the ring you want to be a "stave
    - I suggest changing to cutaway view.
    - change by using the drop down menu from flat to stave
    - Note, the input changes, So you can input stave height, etc.
    - Once done, the cut summary view will give you the miter angle and blade tilt to make the staves.

Hope this helps.

3. vrbradley

vrbradley PRO Member

Thanks, I found It and it's coming back to me. Now I remember a problem I had, once it is glued up, the to and bottom are not flat?

4. Lloyd Johnson

Lloyd Johnson Administrator Staff Member

Vaughn,
    I'll point you to a thread where there was some good discussion about Staves and Compounds which gives a method for creating Compound rings (typically short rings) which will have a flat bottom and top after cutting the segments. This will work if the ring is going to be short and the segments are made by cross-cutting boards. It will not work if you are going to make tall Stave rings where you cut the angles into long boards while ripping - similar to what you would do for making a stave drum.
    Here's the link:
    Title: Stave vs compound

5. vrbradley

vrbradley PRO Member

Thanks, I'll check it out.. I would like them to be long but I'm concerned about gluing and grain direction..but being flat is important too.