1. CLICK HERE to watch the new Introductory Video announcing the release of Segment PRO.

  2. I'm pleased to announce that Tom Lohman, the master of high-density Painted Segment bowls has created Volume 1 of designs for Segment PRO. His volume includes 30 designs for 48, 60 and 72-segment designs - all for the low price of $15. To see sample pictures or to purchase the volume, please visit his website at segmentedturning.org.

New Open Segment Project - Acoma

Discussion in 'Open-Segment Turnings Forum' started by Bob Beaupre, Mar 19, 2017 at 3:14 PM.

  1. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

    Started a new open segment project.

    It's been a little rocky starting.
    This will be 60 segments
    35 rows
    2040 pieces
    About 9 inches tall and 10 inches diameter

    I'm using one of Tom Lohman's designs that he has in his downloads you can purchase, so I will not be showing the painted design until I have finished the project. However, the design stikes me more as a Native American hence the name Acoma. I have also changed the profile to be more Native American

    OK, problems encountered so far:
    New open segment fixture, leaning how to use it properly
    First time doing a 60 segment vessel
    Learning curve with Segment Pro

    First try at row one.
    Sure looks wrong. Went back to Segment Pro, watch where that last dot is placed.
    Here I had it way to low and the bottom row ID is way to big.

    Next try:
    IMG_20170315_134619097.jpg IMG_20170315_134645096.jpg
    Looks much better

    But alas we had problems flattening the ring and had pieces flying all over the place. Glue them back on and try again and pieces go flying.......
    Finally said screw it and cut them off and started new.

    This time I went thru everything at least two and three times. Layout is Segment PRO, same layout in Woodturner Pro, same summary in separate excel spreadsheet. Until I had all three reading the same (almost)

    Cutting the parts, lets looks at that. Fit it into the fixture. If I lay a straight edge on the outside it should hit center right!

    Well it did but it was 0.25" farther out on the OD radius than the plans called for. So re-adjust the cutting angle and re-cut parts

    Next remove my .012" shim from my vertical leg as I was getting to much flex.
    Add a second vertical support lock to my shelf to make it more stable.

    Do row one over:
    Looks good.
    Add row two:
    Looks good
    Use Tom Lohman's advice sand those little buggers at the bottom rather than use a tool. Looks good:
    IMG_20170319_125604596.jpg IMG_20170319_125609735.jpg

    Looks good add row three:

    OK your up to speed this is where we are this afternoon.
    It only took two weeks and a bottle of whiskey.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM
  2. mfisher

    mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

    I have been toying with the idea of using some of Tom's designs but make them solid and not open segment.

    Your new jig looks great. Bet it helps in the alignment for open segments.
  3. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

    Still working on the alignment from row to row but that will come
  4. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

    Mike if your interested I have mine drawn up in Sketch up, with a few modifications it would be easy to make.
    I could up load it if you wanted
  5. mfisher

    mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

    I would like to see your drawings. Only bad thing is I don't drink whiskey. Would beer work instead? :D
    It could be a good summer project to build.
    Not sure about the computer controls, though I do have a laptop I keep in the shop. An old xp.
  6. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

    The lower section I used 2x6 only because I needed the extra height for the stepper motor

    Attached Files:

  7. Tom Lohman

    Tom Lohman Tom Lohman

    Bob, your jig is looking good. If things went to smooth you would not be learning, and that is the fun and the headache at the same time.
  8. mfisher

    mfisher Super Moderator Staff Member

    thanks Bob. I will look it over.
  9. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

    Well it's one step forward one step back and two steps forward.

    Not happy with the alignment on row three (I botched the controls on the computer and tried to reset). Three quarters was good but the rest not so much. So I took the one quarter of the segments off and tried to redo them. Still not happy I turned them off, re-flattened the row and put row three back on. That looked good so we put row four on and that looks good.

    Devised myself a positive zero lock for the system. Because I made it and put it on after starting my bowl it's off a little on the spacing of rows one and two. To fix that problem I just shimmed it with three layers of painters tape, now it's right on for this bowl. Next bowl I'll be able to remove the tape.

    Here is a picture before I put it in the press to finish drying

    Attached Files:

  10. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

    You are so right
  11. Bob Beaupre

    Bob Beaupre Super Moderator Staff Member

Share This Page