• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Greetings from Indianapolis

Dave Freeman

PRO Member
Hello pattern-makers,

Long-time lurker here on the forum, glad to finally join the conversation. I got into segmented design 6 years ago in college under the tutelage of Ted Ross. Great teacher, made some pretty patterns in his day, anyways, he let us go wild with it for a month-long exploration into patterning with wood. After a failed attempt at tartan, I found the Rannefeld book online, and hand-drew, cut paper, then moved into wood. Now that I'm trying to do this professionally, this software is helping immensely.

I do like turning, but I've yet to make a segmented vessel, my degree is in furniture design. I spend most of my time in Lamination Pro. Most of the projects I've done so far have just been straight runs after the second generation and vacuum-pressing to plywood to create laminated sheets to use as patterned panels. I love the Disc View in the program, and it's definitely inspiring some coffee tables.

If anyone is on instagram, you can see what I'm up to by searching for DaveintheShop. Or check out my website at www.DaveintheShop.com

Here's a few pieces I've done with the veneered panels and Clarence Rannefeld's guidance, I'm excited to see what this software suite can add to my repertoire.

IMG_5836.JPG IMG_7779.JPG 20131027-IMG_8633.JPG bench1.jpg IMG_7939.jpg

Beautiful work, Dave. I love seeing flat work from Lamination PRO. I've often said that Lamination PRO is the best kept secret in woodworking, unfortunately. I'm working to change that and having people like you doing such excellent work with it is a big help.

There's another fellow from New York, Jose Berenguer, that also does exceptional woodworking from Lamination PRO. Here is a link to some of his Gallery entries:
Title: Media for user: Jose Berenguer | Woodturner PRO

Welcome to the Woodturner PRO community, Dave.

Lloyd

Wow. Way beyond me. Great to hear LP is a help. What wonderful work you have done.

Thank you, I feel like I've only scratched the surface not that I've started messing around with the program. I just upgraded to a new laptop with a gaming setup to take advantage of the video capture built in. It makes it easy to just hit record screen and go through 8 minutes of looking at 3rd generation discs and adjusting different variables to see thousands of patterns in a few minutes.

I've thought about putting it on youtube, but haven't gone back and double-checked the terms and conditions to see if that was allowed. Definitely read them, though. I've also been trying to get into some game design software I have and export some of the pattern images into video game texture packs, so I can make a luxury rocket to blast some fancy patterns into orbit on Kerbal Space Program.

Back in the real world, I've been pretty inspired by John Manura, lately, I'm glad he got that Accu-Slice into production. That's my next buy. With the vacu-press, and our dimension sander, I'd be set after optimizing my re-saw process. I also want to make an egg, those were amazing.

Dave,

I am thrilled when anyone posts a video using any of my software. It is a great way to get the software introduced to people that I have no other way of reaching. If I can ever be of assistance with this, please don't hesitate to ask.

When you get the chance, you should make a project using the Eagle design. It is something I came up with about five years ago. I've build it five times now, I believe, for various segmented and flatwork projects including a headboard and table. One of our members, Glenn McCarron, made a tutorial on making this design and it is over 5 pages of photos and discussions and it is well worth reading to see how he tackled some of the complexities. Here is a link to it:
Title: My Eagle Bowl attempt

A sample of the eagle is created when you install Lamination PRO. It is named Bird Design.lam and is found in Documents > Lamination PRO > Samples.

Lloyd

Dave welcome to the forum as a active member. Beautiful work. Lots of talent here and people that are willing to answer any of your question. But it looks like you may be answering some of our questions.

Glad you decided to become more active in the forum you will find a lot of really nice people here.

Again welcome glad to have a Lamination PRO expert in the mix.

I was wondering why the Youtube rabbit hole for this stuff wasn't very deep, glad to see that you're taking advantage of the Vimeo platform. I'll be sure to cross-post content if I throw anything together.

Wow, mdf glue-up jig on the eagles, nice one, slapping myself in the head for each strip I've glued one-by-one so far. What a revelation. I need to get my 2nd generation cuts a little more uniform to make that work. My table saw mega-sled is a full sheet of baltic birch, optimized for the larger stuff I do, so the tolerances aren't as tight as with the small stuff. And lasers! Everyone should have more lasers. Sighting that cut from the top would be a big improvement.

20111130-IMG_7420.JPG

I've been drooling over the giant sliding table saws the Hakone artists use to cut their strips before assembling. They've really mastered getting the most out of those final loafs of pattern and resawing (replaning?) to get a paper thin shaving they glue onto assembled boxes. Might have to pull out the materials from my book arts minor to find the right adhesive for something that thin. Luckily I was into japanese binding styles, so hopefully there's some crossover. I don't even want to attempt setting up one of those japanese style planes, though, I hear they're tricky.

It's a little big but add another angle arm and you have an instant SegEasy sled. It wouldn't take much to make a smaller sled and with the right side fence segment edge length could be set.

Yeah that'd be perfect. Time to scale down and work on my finesse. Next time I have some offcuts from some high quality dead-flat ply, I'm pulling it for a reasonably sized sled that doesn't take 2 people to get on the saw.

Back