• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Zero Segeasy Plates??

Kenny Hennings

PRO Member
I see Jerry Bennett’s zero segeasy plates for close segmented bowls. Are these plates the best way for gluing close segment bowls? Or is there a way that would work better? Either way I would prefer to use the stomper instead of doing it on the lathe.

I use the segeasy plates and a sled to cut the individual pieces. Once the segments are glued up I use the stomper to glue the rings together. I make sure when I use the stomper I measure the rings size to the ring it's being glued to because if you not careful and your doing a tall piece there is some play in the stomper. I put two halves together and it took a little more turning to get the piece turned.

Last edited:
I have tried the zero seg-easy plates and have moved past them. They work but they are not the end all answer. I now do all my segmenting glue up in my open segment glue up jig. Both open and closed.

I have tried the zero seg-easy plates and have moved past them. They work but they are not the end all answer. I now do all my segmenting glue up in my open segment glue up jig. Both open and closed.
Hey Bob is the jig you are talking about something you made or is it something that is available to buy? I am always looking for a better way to do things. Thanks

I am thinking about getting a 48 segment zero seg-easy plate. Can you tell me about your experience with these plates? Did you use a 48 segment plate? I’ve been glueing up 48 segment rings 1/2 ring at a time but looking for something easier to do. Not sure I’m ready to go to a stomper type jig at this point.

I am thinking about getting a 48 segment zero seg-easy plate. Can you tell me about your experience with these plates? Did you use a 48 segment plate? I’ve been glueing up 48 segment rings 1/2 ring at a time but looking for something easier to do. Not sure I’m ready to go to a stomper type jig at this point.
The problem I saw was keeping a costant outside diameter useing the plates, yes I was using a 48 segment. Taking a cut segment,you can put the same piece in different slots and the diameter will change. I see this as variations in the width of the slot.
I now use my open segemnt glue up jig for all my work open and closed segment

When using the open segment jig for closed rings do you just use the calculated ring diameter to set the stop? When you get to the last segment how well does it fit, ie. Does it slip in further than the other segments or protrude some? Is it necessary to add some to the board width to make sure you can get the final dimension you want?

I’m sorry, I was asking about using the your open segment jig that you have switched to. You said you were using it for both open segment and solid rings.

Thanks. Didn’t realize you would leave gaps then go back and fill in. That certainly reduces the cumulative error you would get.

Back