• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Open Segment Project - Acoma-2

Bob Beaupre

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have to have a project complete, so I thought I'd do a follow along project over here. I've been pretty quite over here, working hard on getting the symposium setup with the other board members.

Now it's time to get back to work.

Acoma -2

Acoma - 2.jpg
60 segment open, plans call for 35 rows, but there will be more because I am changing the bottom to a 30 segment closed base. There will be at least four rows there. The closed segments for the base are being done in my open segment jig (more on that in the next post)
I have attached the Segment Pro plans if you wish to take a look.
I have also attached my custom excel spreadsheet that I use. (I have a new updated version I use, but this one will work fine here. If anyone wants a copy of my newest version just let me know and I will send it to you). You will notice in the spreadsheet I have reduced the open gap between segments from Segment Pro's standard 1 deg down to a 12% segment gap. I'm following Tom Lohman's lead on this.

Well we have all the material milled and the first three rows on so we are off to a good start.

Any questions or suggestions along the way please chime in, we are all learning here

Attachments

• 2018-1-15-15-27-17.json
    135.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Acoma - 2___60 Seg_Wood_Needed_10_Color_Bowl - Segmented Base.xlsx
    105.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Using Tom Lohman's new process of doing closed segment rings on a open segment glue up jig.

Using the jig to glue ever third segment
20181031_110727.jpg
20181031_111850.jpg

Let segment dry
Then insert segment pairs in between
20181031_122838.jpg
20181031_122848.jpg
Now completely glued (not perfect but good enough with extra on the ID and OD)
20181031_124656.jpg
Works good on those thin rings
No clamps no rubber bands
Can stop half way in a ring glue up

Bob.
Thanks for starting another follow along project. I downloaded your json file. In SP I imported the file. SP said it was successful. I went into the Plan section, found your Acoma 2. When I tried to open the file SP crashed/closed. I deleted your json file and repeated the process. Same results SP says import of Plan successful. I found the Acoma file under Plans, tried to open and SP crashes.

thought you and Lloyd would like to know.

Look forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for sharing. Your photos are a great learning tool.

Hi Mike
Thanks for the heads up.
I had a non-original species in the pallet, I changed it try this one. If that works I'll update the original above

Attachments

• 2018-1-15-15-27-17.json
    128.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi Mike
Thanks for the heads up.
I had a non-original species in the pallet, I changed it try this one. If that works I'll update the original above
Hi Bob.
I deleted the plan. Shut down SP, started SP and imported your new plan. SP said it was imported successfully.
The plan shows up in the SP plan list. When trying to open it, same thing. SP closes. So No Joy.

Glad your back. Hope the convention was a success for Lloyd and you had a good time.

Hi Bob.
I deleted the plan. Shut down SP, started SP and imported your new plan. SP said it was imported successfully.
The plan shows up in the SP plan list. When trying to open it, same thing. SP closes. So No Joy.

Glad your back. Hope the convention was a success for Lloyd and you had a good time.

:DDid you see the YouTube of Lloyd singing!!:D

What a Hoot!

Base finished, hollowed out the backside for the insert and turned the insert retainer ring. Insert I had made awhile back.
IMG_20180325_215504429.jpg
Now I have the base turned around and remounted on the faceplate for the glue up jig.

Tomorrow I'll face it off and start building the bowl.

Went old school mounting base to the glue jig, using brown paper spacer.

T
Hi Mike
Thanks for the heads up.
Tryed to open the file and had the same experiens as Mike. Nothing showing in SP after import.

Bob, have you figured out why the Acoma 2 file won't import for us from SP. Really like the design.

Nope not yet will post when I have something
Thanks Bob.
What is more important is your sharing as you build this vessel. From the photo is would not be that big of deal to replicate the design. I still like doing closed segments. 36 is as high has I have gone. My go up a few and see.

These are the spices I have in the file.
Let make sure you have something matching in your species directory.
If you do not have something in your species directory with these names save my copy and then move into your directory.
Then try to open the file

Attachments

• Maple.jpg
    Maple.jpg
    432 bytes · Views: 45
  • Wenge.jpg
    Wenge.jpg
    705 bytes · Views: 38
  • Padauk.jpg
    Padauk.jpg
    561 bytes · Views: 36
  • Purpleheart.jpg
    Purpleheart.jpg
    634 bytes · Views: 36
  • Cherry.jpg
    Cherry.jpg
    594 bytes · Views: 36
  • Yellowheart.jpg
    Yellowheart.jpg
    520 bytes · Views: 37
  • Chakte Viga.jpg
    Chakte Viga.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 43
Base finished, hollowed out the backside for the insert and turned the insert retainer ring.
20181031_204103.jpg
I then removed it from the face plate.
I used a brown paper spacer between the part and waste block so I was able to peal it off.
Then turned it around and glued it back on the waste block again with a brown paper spacer.
Cleaned up the surface and it is now in the glue up fixture ready for the first row of the bowl
20181102_211041.jpg
Here is a picture of the insert sitting on top. it will obviously be under the lip but give you an idea of what it will look like. plus the ID for the insert will be opened up more.
20181102_211101.jpg

These are the spices I have in the file.
Let make sure you have something matching in your species directory.
If you do not have something in your species directory with these names save my copy and then move into your directory.
Then try to open the file
The spices show here can not be imported to the species folder as the are. I have no clue why this all is so difficult to save and use. Sorry I start to loose interest as it is so many thing to understand...
I do find all the species in my folder except of Chakte Viga.jpg. Does this have something to do about the problem?
And where is SP saving and open folder for species?

Last edited by a moderator:
The spices show here can not be imported to the species folder as the are. I have no clue why this all is so difficult to save and use. Sorry I start to loose interest as it is so many thing to understand...
I do find all the species in my folder except of Chakte Viga.jpg. Does this have something to do about the problem?
And where is SP saving and open folder for species?

They are easy to save.
Click on the image,
it will open in your browser
Right click on the image, a menu will pop up click on save image as
navigate to MY Documents, My Segment Pro, Species
Save

Make sure you have all the Species listed above in your directory
Let me know if that works

They are easy to save.
Click on the image,
it will open in your browser
Right click on the image, a menu will pop up click on save image as
navigate to MY Documents, My Segment Pro, Species
Save

Make sure you have all the Species listed above in your directory
Let me know if that works
I have checked the folder /species and all the pictures are there. So why it is not coming to SP after it tell me the import is sucessful is a mistery. It would be very nice to try the same.
Thanks for you answer Bob.

Hi Bob.
Your project loaded and SP is working fine. For whatever reason I did a uninstall and reinstall of SP. Then loaded your json file. I made sure I had the species in the species folder. All is good.

Love the design. Great work.

Back