• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Summary only shows default species?

M

Mark Harris

I'm trying to design my first bowl in Segment Pro, and not having much luck with the summary tab. I've painted the segments the colours I want, but the summary just shows the default for all piece sizes.

Also, is there a way to make the views take up more of the screen? The bowl render only takes up about 1/6th of my screen and the summary is less than 1/3rd of the width!

segpro-summary.jpg segpro-bowlview.jpg

Your summary is showing species: Elm, Wa, Pac, Pur, We.
Five different species. Grab the columns like you would in Excel and expand them out

Oh wow ok, totally missed those. I was looking under the Ring -> species Column. I was expecting the summary to be a cut list with a row per size and species especially as it has the board size to cut.

What does the Lgth column next to the qty for each species represent? I thought Segment -> S.E.L. was how long each segment needed to be cut?

What is the point of listing the species for the ring, if the ring is painted?

Thanks for your help!

The length column is the width of the board you need to cut your segments
The S. E. L. is short for segment edge length or the width of the segment at the wide end.

Painted is a metaphor for the use of different species (each of a different color to paint the bowl. You do not actually paint the bowl

On the second row its showing i need 5.7mm of elm?? I can't see how this relates to any measurement in the bowl!

Still confused by how the board length and ring species relates to anything... you can group the rows by species but it's pointless as this won't give you any sort of cut list as the species are then listed as columns at the end of the row. I was expecting to get a board width, thickness, and total length for that board width of each species i need to prepare: ie a list i can print, take to the workshop and then cut up and go.

Do people ever think that painted literally means with paint? That sounds like a lot less fun than using different woods!

You do have something wrong with your plans. Can you upload a copy so I can take a look at them for you?
Go to Share in the top menu when you have the file open and the program will save a copy in the My Segment PRO. File extension will be .json

Thanks Bob - i've attached the json file for you. Your support is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 2016-12-1-13-50-8.json
    52.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi Mark, tried to import your file and it will not import. It says it imported with out any errors, but it's not there. I then tried and file copied into the directory and then Segement PRO world not load at all. There has to be something internally wrong with this file. If I were you I would recreate the file and then delete this one. When ever you create a new file always make sure that all the species are filled in on your pallet.

If i save it as a plan it goes into C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Woodturner PRO\Segment PRO\Images\JsonPlan which i'm then able to load. Here's the file from there, and the image to match to go into C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Woodturner PRO\Segment PRO\Images\Plan

I previously tried doing a share -> export to see if i could save a bowl that way - and it didn't import for me through that way either - that was a different instance of segment pro, so i think perhaps something is broken on the importer or exporter.

Attachments

• 2018-7-24-2-20-16.json
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
  • de922cd0-9be0-42c1-9b78-d375d98923e3.jpg
    de922cd0-9be0-42c1-9b78-d375d98923e3.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
Looks like that one is importing an extra ring above the Wenge pictured in the preview...

You can adjust that by changing the bowl height.

It appears that the board length is in imperial units weather you are set as metric or imperial.
Try switching back and forth and you see they do not change

Ah, well that explains the oddly small number.

It also appears that optimising width/length is rounding some fractional inch amount?

How does the board length get calculated? I have a 400mm (~16") blade in my saw which has a kerf of 3.5mm rather than a 10/12" blade's typical 1/8" (3.175mm).

For one cut, 6 segments 25.4mm long, the suggested length is 6.5"/165.1mm. 6*25.4mm = 152.4mm. This would give you 4 cuts @ 1/8", realistically you need a minimum of 6 assuming your ends were already angled, or 8 if you needed to clean up each end. 8 would mean it's calculating a kerf of 1/16" - a bandsaw cut?

I couldn't see in the Settings -> User Defaults a place to set kerf?

Pieces are pie shaped, so it figures you are flipping the board on each cut and allows 1/8" kerf. You need to add some for water stock to hold on to

Back