• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Rings View

Hotsticker

PRO Member
When I click the rings tab and save the file it will open up and show all the pages but there is no cutting instructions on the bottom of the page as you show in your video.

Hmmm. I never noticed that on the video, but you are right.

I’d suggest you print the summary page, or export it to excel, manipulate it for your reading preference then print it.

Since I cut everything at once it works really well for me to have all the cut instructions in front of me on a single page. I can just take the bags of segments for each ring to the glue up station and use the rings pages info to arrange the segments correctly.

Brett

WTP ring view has the ring information on the page. SP does not. SP ring view is more of a guide for laying out the pattern.

WTP ring view has the ring information on the page. SP does not. SP ring view is more of a guide for laying out the pattern.
Yes but in Lloyds video on "Summary and Rings View" you will see that in the rings view it shows segment info at the bottom of the page of each ring and Lloyd also points that out in the video.

Check out the video tutorial "Summary and Rings View" at 6:39

I am pretty sure Lloyd is aware of the missing data. I remember reading something about the ring view / data somewhere. He also stated in the vid that the ring view is not to scale and it is for laying out of the pattern only.

Hopefully Lloyd will bring the info back in some update in the future.

Last edited:
Was there a solution to this? That page view was a big reason I bought SP. Everything on one page instead of having multiple pages to refer to on each ring.

As Brett said export the summary to excel and change it anyway you want. Take a screen shot of the paint page and print it out. You have everything you need to build. I never print out the rings, a waste of time and paper.

Was there a solution to this? That page view was a big reason I bought SP. Everything on one page instead of having multiple pages to refer to on each ring.

In other threads Lloyd stated the main purpose of ring view in SP is to assist in the layout of the rings when constructing them.
As changes/ updates were made in some of the programs 3D Design, SP, etc. not all tutorial vids were also updated. It does cause some minor confusion.

The good news is WTP still has the info in the ring view.

I am very new to this. Only recently bought a lathe! On Lloyd's advice I export to Excel from both SP and WP and manipulate it to suit my needs which may vary for each of us. I use the Segeasy sled to make cuts and so I added the setup blocks required to set the distance to the blade. I got fed up with doing it manually so I wrote some Excel VBA code to do it for me in inch fractions to the nearest 1/32nd. I also converted all dimensions to the nearest 1/32nd. I am aware that Lloyd prefers decimal values for accuracy, which I absolutely respect. I have a caliper that reads decimals but I can't think in decimals. I thought about going to the nearest 1/64th but didn't think the extra accuracy was justified. I guess I will find out. If anybody has an opinion on that I would like to know. I have attached a test sample from SP.
SPsample.jpg

I am very new to this. Only recently bought a lathe! On Lloyd's advice I export to Excel from both SP and WP and manipulate it to suit my needs which may vary for each of us. I use the Segeasy sled to make cuts and so I added the setup blocks required to set the distance to the blade. I got fed up with doing it manually so I wrote some Excel VBA code to do it for me in inch fractions to the nearest 1/32nd. I also converted all dimensions to the nearest 1/32nd. I am aware that Lloyd prefers decimal values for accuracy, which I absolutely respect. I have a caliper that reads decimals but I can't think in decimals. I thought about going to the nearest 1/64th but didn't think the extra accuracy was justified. I guess I will find out. If anybody has an opinion on that I would like to know. I have attached a test sample from SP.
View attachment 4259
Graham.
Since you stated you are new to segmenting I would suggest when you design your vessel you slightly overbuild. In your example,
row 1 disk ... OD is 2 25/32. I would make a disk 3 inches and turn down to the desired OD

For the segmented rings, I would plan for 1/8 to 1/4 larger outside diameter than desired. The board width would be increased to allow for adequate glue surface between rings. I would then turn down to desired OD. This gives you a fudge factor in aligning rings when stacking them. As you get better the fudge factor can be reduced. Hope that makes sense.

Graham.
Since you stated you are new to segmenting I would suggest when you design your vessel you slightly overbuild. In your example,
row 1 disk ... OD is 2 25/32. I would make a disk 3 inches and turn down to the desired OD

For the segmented rings, I would plan for 1/8 to 1/4 larger outside diameter than desired. The board width would be increased to allow for adequate glue surface between rings. I would then turn down to desired OD. This gives you a fudge factor in aligning rings when stacking them. As you get better the fudge factor can be reduced. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the advice. The example that I gave isn't real. It was just a test example for my software which I have only just finished. Based upon advice from Lloyd I increased the wall thickness and the following is what I am planning to try next. I hope that I have increased the wall thickness sufficiently.SPsample2.jpg

I guess I could have tested in WP like above. I didn't think of that. I plan to "graduate" from the ease of SP before moving onto WP at some point. I have a long way to go before that. Trying to run before you can walk doesn't usually work out well and right now I am still slowly learning how to walk!

I guess I could have tested in WP like above. I didn't think of that. I plan to "graduate" from the ease of SP before moving onto WP at some point. I have a long way to go before that. Trying to run before you can walk doesn't usually work out well and right now I am still slowly learning how to walk!
Wood Turner Pro was Lloyd's first. SP was made to speed up the creation for those not wanting to spend a lot of time.

Watch the tutorials on SP. Lloyd covers in one how to increase the transition width at the bottom. Have fun playing with the software. Best way to ge to know it. Please ask questions. That way we all can share and learn.

Thanks for your reply. I just spent a few hours today watching the excellent videos that Lloyd made from which I learned quite a few useful things. I am used to "playing" with software since I used to write software professionally at the back end of my engineering career. That has taught me to appreciate well produced software and there is no question all of Woodturner suite of programs are of well thought out and of very high quality.

Back