• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Vertically stacked rings...

Brett Niland

PRO Member
Hi all,

I couldn't find this answer elsewhere so I thought I'd ask. Please move if posted in the wrong spot.

Is there a way to have flat disks that stack straight up rather than at an offset? I'm working a project that will require several rings to stack straight vertically for a design element.

Thanks,

Brett

The biggest reason to offset them is for strength. Since the segments are glued together end to end it's not a very strong joint because it's end grain. Offsetting each ring from the other makes the entire piece stronger. But...when I was first starting in segmented turning I did a bowl that I didn't offset and it's still holding up.

The biggest reason to offset them is for strength.

Thanks for the quick reply Frank,

I get the strength issue. That’s a consideration, but my question was intended to ask about use of the software for design and painting segments for rings that are not offset.

Brett

Uh oh...sorry for the confusion. I don't know the answer to your actual question. I'm sure someone will be along soon that can answer it.

Hi all,

I couldn't find this answer elsewhere so I thought I'd ask. Please move if posted in the wrong spot.

Is there a way to have flat disks that stack straight up rather than at an offset? I'm working a project that will require several rings to stack straight vertically for a design element.

Thanks,

Brett

Hi Brett:
The software can be fooled. You just need to make very other row "zero" thickness. The rows than line up stacked vertically. You just have to ignore the "0" thickness row in the cut summary.

Attachments

• brett help 1.jpg
    brett help 1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 8
  • brett help 2.jpg
    brett help 2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi Brett:
The software can be fooled. You just need to make very other row "zero" thickness. The rows than line up stacked vertically. You just have to ignore the "0" thickness row in the cut summary.
Genius. It’s always the things that are obvious in retrospect. Thank you sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Brett. Your welcome. I got to give Lloyd credit for the zero row height. It was brought up in some other post a while back. That is one thing I like about the forum. We can all exchange ideas and information.

Back