• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

export / import question

sgholman

PRO Member
My design machine has ver 1.1.027 my shop machine is 1.1.028. export from design to shop failed. Segment PRO died. If i upgrade my design machine to 1.1.028 will it keep my current designs and upgrade them. I the early days of the software you mentioned that the database would change and designs would be lost. Want to make sure before i do the upgrade. Absolutely great software,

Thanks for the reply Bob, i did the upgrade from 027 to 028, worked fine, the plans i made still worked. now both systems are on the same build. when i exported from design machine and imported to shop machine, it failed again. SP stopped working. Not a great big deal, just inconvenient. Any ideas? the shop system works when i load the 2 plans that come with it.

If the you have problems with import you can do it manually.
You need to turn on 'Show hidden files, and directories' if you need help let me know
Then go to users / your users directory / Appdata / Roaming / Woodturning PRO / Segment PRO / Images /
JasonPlans = location of your plans
JasonProflies = locations of your profiles

Let me know if you need help

I would be interested in finding out where the failure is happening because it is a pretty simple process. The Share Export simply creates a Json file which is nothing more than a text file, and the Share Import simply copies that text file to the proper location. So even though it is a powerful feature, it is brain dead simple. My guess is that you have permissions that won't let us write to the target folder that Bob has identified.

In earlier versions, I actually maintained a database that contained records for each of the plans and profiles. The processing of this was very slow and so I opted for a model where there are simply folders and folders have text files in them. When the software starts, it opens each of the text files and populates a dynamic database that gets rebuilt everytime the software stops and starts. While not the most elegant solution, it is a simple and reliable way to handle almost anything you can throw at the software.

My experience has always been that the simplest solution is almost always the best.

If you'd like to give me a call, I can share your screen and should be able to see what is failing and why it is failing. As simple as this process is, it almost has to be permissions because that is the only thing that can keep the software from working correctly.

Lloyd

Also, I'd be interested in knowing what is failing - is it the import or the export. I'm attaching an Export file that I know is correct as it has been imported on a lot of different computers. Can you import it and let me know if it is successful?

Attachments

• 2017-10-4-18-19-21.json
    45.3 KB · Views: 12
Also, I'd be interested in knowing what is failing - is it the import or the export. I'm attaching an Export file that I know is correct as it has been imported on a lot of different computers. Can you import it and let me know if it is successful?
Hi Loyd, sorry, i've was out all day yesterday. I did import your file, it did not show up as a plan, though it did say successful import. My file that i imported does show up in plans, the picture is there but when i open the plan, SP dies. permissions would not surprise me, i'm working between a win7 machine and a win10 machine. then again, the picture did show up in plans. I would be OK with letting you on my machine. I would give you a call if i had your number.

i have yet to test moving the files manually as described by bob, only because i was out yesterday, I will get to that soon. for a retired person, i seem to have an too much to do.

i have yet to test moving the files manually as described by bob, only because i was out yesterday, I will get to that soon. for a retired person, i seem to have an too much to do.
i tried moving the files manually as described by bob, i got a plan with no picture, it also killed SP

Sorry, but I've been in Utah for the past week teaching workshops and doing a little hiking. I'm back now so if you'd like to give me a call tomorrow (Thursday), we'll use screen sharing to see what it is you're trying to do.

My phone number is 5O3 78I 5II7 and I live in Portland, Oregon.

loyd, I quit using the computer i was having the import problem with. I've purchased a new machine, and am having the same problem with just a couple of the imports. one of the problem imports is attached. the file says it imports, and it shows in the plans, but when you open, it kills the program. i am available if you want to connect to my machine. 307 343 3206

Attachments

• 2016-12-15-13-1-21.json
    176.7 KB · Views: 7
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to look at a .json file and see what the problem is because it contains binary data and is, therefore, unreadable. So I cannot see what is wrong with it and I would have had to have seen it while it was being saved in order to spot the reason the exported file could not be imported.

As a programmer, it is not always possible to anticipate the things that could be done to a Plan before it is exported and in this case, you must have done something that is completely allowable but not something I anticipated and so there just isn't any way to know what is wrong with the file.

It is also likely that this file was exported using an earlier version of the software and that version may have had a bug that no longer exists because I have not exported a file that could not be imported for a number of months. If that is the case, it is not something that I can do anything about.

Thanks for getting back Loyd, Not a big deal, i can recreate the projects on the new machine. I'll also make sure i have the latest version of software on both machines. As i said before, love your software. without it, each design would take months instead of hours to design. One question please. i have a backup of my older machine. do i recall that projects are stored as part of the program. can i restore the directory for segmentpro under program files (x86)/woodturner pro/segmentpro? that would allow me to pull up the projects on my older machine.

thanks again loyd

Each plan has two files that are saved in two different folders. The file in one folder has all the details about a plan and the image that is saved with a plan is stored in a different folder. You would need to copy all of the files from both folders and copy them to the same folders on the new computer.

These folders might be hidden on your computer and if they are, you need to click the 'Show Hidden' checkbox in your File Explorer to see them. The folder containing these two folders is:
C:\Users\<your usernmae>\AppData\Roaming\Woodturner PRO\Segment PRO
and the two folders are:
Plan
JsonPlan

Likewise, the two folders containing saved Profiles are:
JsonProfile

When the software starts, it builds the contents of Profiles and Plans by reading each of the files in these four folders.

Back