• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Changing to Metric

Christian Pratt

PRO Member
I know this has probably been asked before, but can you change the units in Segment Pro to metric. I haven't a clue how to measure out 1.2" on a standard measuring tape or is it easier than I think?

Yes, go to setting, user defaults.

And welcome to the forum.
I'm the one you talked with on Facebook

If your new to segmented turning this is the place to be. Lots of talent here and everyone is willing to help

Be aware that segmented turning is highly addictive.

Again welcome to the forum

I know this has probably been asked before, but can you change the units in Segment Pro to metric. I haven't a clue how to measure out 1.2" on a standard measuring tape or is it easier than I think?
Bobs answer is the best but for future reference a quick google search will give lots of charts that will show these conversations at a glance

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my opinion that going to decimal inches is just a final step before making the transition to metric which is FAR overdue, IMHO.

One thing is for sure - fractions are going away quickly. Soon, keyboards will be completely optional as all monitors are becoming touch enabled and so all controls are switching to numeric only so that they can be incremented/decremented by touching arrows. Fractions are all text entries and so they cannot be used in the touch fields. That's why Segment PRO only supports controls that can be touch enabled.

One thing is for sure, finally switching to metrics will sure simply programming and as far as I'm concerned, it can't happen fast enough.

Welcome to the Woodturner PRO community, Christian.

Lloyd

I remember in the 60's being taught the metric system and how the US was going to adapt it. Metric didn't really take hold. I always wondered if I would see it in my lifetime. Maybe, some day. :D

I do use the decimal inches rather than fractions.

In Canada we switched to metric in the early seventies. To this day it is still resisted. The grocery stores all use metric to weigh and price items but all the advertising and signage is still done in pounds. The smaller price makes folks happier, but causes confusion in my opinion.

Most cook books come from the USA and are all in standard measure which is not a problem. When you go to buy things you need to know the metric equivalent. How many ounces in a litre, or grams in a pound.....

In my shop I still tend to measure in fractions but I have managed to feel more comfortable using decimal inches when doing segmented projects. Like Art said above, I do keep a chart to convert in both directions. Since when do you ask for a "0.1875" drill bit! I'm sorry but it's still 3/16.

If you drill a 1/2 inch hole (.5) and need a dowel to fit good luck finding one. The labeled 1/2 dowel is actually a metric size and will be sloppy in the hole. The only way around it is to get your dowels made in the USA then they fit. I guess I could use my digital calliper then buy a metric drill to match.

The answer is for everyone to be on the same page, but which page?

Last edited:
I would suggest that all measurements should be fully in the metric system, ie millimeters / centimeters etc as is the case in most countries (including here in Australia). I have never heard of the term "metric inches" until now.

I'm not sure where you are getting 'metric inches' which everyone knows is an oxymoron. Since 90% of my customers use inches, I store all data in the database in digital inches and then convert it to metrics at display time if you choose the metric option.

Lloyd

Back