• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

New to WoodTurnerPro

F

FredGriffiths

Hello
I had done some wood turning many years ago, and taken up segmented turning about a year ago. I have had good success using the old fashioned paper and pencil method of planning. But now I have the computer version!

However, I am still struggling to learn the programs 3D Design, Woodturner and Lamination. I’m at a disadvantage in that my wife bought this 3 piece suite as a birthday present 2 weeks ago and I had not even used the 30 day trial period to see how it would work.

I had asked, in reply to the original welcoming email, why my version of 3D Design does not have the grid, but rather a hand (which is greyed out and non functioning) different than shown in the tutorials. I have not received a reply. I realize you are busy with everything, but you did say to contact you if I have questions. A second email to the same address is also unanswered - so perhaps I had been sending to the wrong address.

I notice quite some differences between my programs and those shown in the tutorials. I won’t try to enumerate details at this time. I fail to see how Lamination Pro is used to make feature rings in segmented bowls. It appears my wife should have bought SegmentPro instead. Is this a correct assumption? As it was, the 3 piece suite was quite expensive, without the SegmentPro.

Hi Fred. Welcome to WTP forum

Sorry for the delays in answering your questions. You may want to ask questions in the Wood Turner Pro Company Catalog / Software Support / 3D Design Pro Support Forum. That should get more attention.

Hopefully you have viewed the vids Lloyd has made for the software. It is my experience also that some of the vids are not updated when the software is.

So what version of 3D Design Pro are you running?
mine shows 3.1.0.0 (even though I just uninstalled / reinstalled what should be 3.1.0.09. Mine version also has the grid icon missing.

Lamination Pro is used to come up with designs. It shows how patterns can be made through laminating boards and cutting. It provides the instructions and cut list. The design has to be exported and brought into WTP as a species of wood to show in the featured ring.

I will ask Lloyd the question regarding what happened to the grid in 3ddesign.

Thankyou Mfisher,
When I open 3Dpro, the first little box shows Ver3.1.9, but when I look under the Help>About menu it says 3.1.0.0. So I am at a loss to know what version I have.

I admit I am getting more than a little frustrated trying to learn the 3 programs. As mentioned I am finding too many examples where the tutorials do not reflect nor explain my programs.

In playing with LaminationPro, I realize the idea of exporting a laminated cut design into WTP, but I certainly cannot get a segment to look anything like the design in Laminations.

More reading, more watching, more trying, more questions...

Fred,

I removed the grid a long time ago and here are the reasons - first, it added almost no value. Bowls aren't typically made with straight lines. But the big thing is that the control I used to draw the grid also interacted with the dots. If you had drawn dots and then turned on the grid, you couldn't use the Move tool to move a dot unless that dot was added when the grid was on because then the dot would be forced to be on one of the grid lines. This caused no end of grief to users so removing the grid seldom-used grid feature was a no brainer. I intended to go back and replace the video but it never got to the top of the list.

For making feature rings with Lamination PRO, you follow the exact same process as I show in the tutorial for Segment PRO named 'Using Lamination PRO with Segment PRO. The only difference is that if you have Woodturner PRO running, you click the 'Transfer to Woodturner PRO' button instead of the 'Save Image' button. That transfers the image you create directly into Woodturner PRO and places it in the row you have selected. With Segment PRO, you create and image and save it to the Documents\My Segment PRO\Species folder and then it is ready to use in Segment PRO.

Some other changes have been made in Lamination PRO but only to make things simpler. I removed several buttons that were redundant but nothing I removed removed any functionality. If you see a button in a tutorial that you don't see in Lamination PRO just look at the interface. The button is still there - just not in the exact same position.

I also have good news for you in that your purchase was for the Everything Suite which means that you also got Segment PRO as was explained on the email sent to you at the time of your purchase. Just install Segment PRO and use the same authorization code to unlock it.

If you are new to segmenting, use Segment PRO as that is the software I recently wrote for turners that are new to segmenting. All of the tutorials (14 in all) are brand new and match the interface exactly.

Please let me know if you still have questions. Sometimes it is best to call me (5O3-781-5117). Where I can usually answer questions even if I'm driving.

Lloyd

Fred,

There was also a purchasing option to buy one-on-one training from me for a minimum of an hour for $40. If you are new to segmenting, this will be the best forty bucks you ever spend. The reason I charge for this is that with the 14 tutorials for Segment PRO that match the interface perfectly (including using Lamination PRO), you shouldn't need my help. Instead, I spend a lot of time going into topics that aren't considered introductory to the software. All of this is done with screen sharing using your computer where you ask questions and I demonstrate or I watch you to make sure that you're doing everything correctly.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I try to answer all questions within 24 hours and through the years, I've done a good job with that. Things slip through cracks, though, so if you don't hear back from me within 24 hours, call me. My cell phone is located at the bottom of every page of the website (not the forum).

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, thank you greatly for your lengthy explanation. And for explaining the inclusion of SegmentPro - I re-read the email but didn't see it mentioned, so didn't realize it was part of the suite. I will proceed to explore it right now!

I realize you have done a lot of work developing these programs, and must spend a lot of time making tutorials, answering personal emails and keeping the forum up to date.

I am not new to segmented turning, or computer programs like Sketchup, Inkscape or CorelDraw - just new to your computer programs. I too have written instruction manuals for, and taught commercial computerized embroidery digitizing, so know how precise one has to be with instruction.

Thanks for the offer of phone call help, but due to a voice problem I am unable to use the phone successfully.

I feel I might be getting somewhere now.
Cheers, Fred

Back