• Are you looking for a coupon code to buy my software? You can get one from lots of 3rd party sites but they won't work. My software never goes on sale and has never been discounted. The only coupon codes that are given is when I give a club presentation and I offer a discount to the attendees. Other than that, everyone pays the same price.

Open Segment Project - Maze

Row 9 is now on that's 769 pieces so far.

Row 9 took me 81 minutes to glue on.
That's with two interruptions from my wife and three from our dog Sadie. :)
9.jpg

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
If you look close at the ID of row 9 where I did the turning you can see one of the yellowheart segments broke on the ID. Should be no problem I just turned to the ID of row 10

Huston we have a problem.
Glenn caught a error in my pattern it was back on segmented row 4
Repair_1.jpg
I had reversed 2 wenge and 2 maple
So with some discussion with Glenn, I decided to part the bowl at that row, flatten both faces and re-install segmented row 4, and then glue it back together.

Not a lot of extra room!
Repair_6.jpg
We parted with a little extra meat on both sides.
Repair_7.jpg
Got both faces cleaned up and flattened
Repair_14.jpg Repair_15.jpg
Row re-installed
Repair_20.jpg

Back together
Repair_21.jpg

Well that took all day!!
Done for the day, time for a cocktail or may be two
Live and learn

Bob:
Glad the save worked for you.
I can see how the jig would work in putting a new ring 4 back on. It is like adding a new layer.
How did flatten the bottom of ring 5?
How did you center the ring 5-10 back on to the new ring 4?

Your posts and photos are very helpful.

Bob:
Glad the save worked for you.
I can see how the jig would work in putting a new ring 4 back on. It is like adding a new layer.
How did flatten the bottom of ring 5?
How did you center the ring 5-10 back on to the new ring 4?

Your posts and photos are very helpful.

The bowl on it's faceplate was mounted on the lathe. Then a set of coles jaws were mounted on a chuck was put on the tail stock. This lined up the two. This is where I cut them apart.
Repair_6.jpg you see there is not much room
Then it was just a matter of taking the chuck with the coles jaws off the tail stock and putting it on the head stock do a little turning and the flatten the ring
Repair_16.jpg
after putting the lower portion back in the fixture and putting the ring back on. I just put it back on the head stock and the upper portion back on the tail stock. Since I did not remove the upper section from the coles jaws everything lined right back up.

thanks for the response Bob.
What you did makes a lot of sense. Lesson learned for me to use in the future.

Milling day today. Milled up about 160 feet of wood for segments. Still need some more maple but this will get us most of the way.

Rows 12 thru 59 are called out at 0.75"
Rows 60 thru 67 go back up to 1.00"
Rows 68 thru 75 back down to 0.75"

For the rows at 0.075" I'll leave the width what ever I have for board thickness my yellowheart is the thinnest at 0.075"

I should be able to keep to keep more than I want. With the new fixture the OD is so consistent you only loose may be 0.125"and the ID cleaning it up may be 0.1875" - 0.25", so I'm thinking I can keep 0.375" if I want to. On 'Acoma' I left the wall a little thicker as I was a little shell shocked from the last on, and I'm still happy with it. This one be over 7000 pieces I'll probably error on the safe side as well.

Being a larger piece I think it can handle the thicker wall no problem. I hope to get down to about 1/4 but it is nerve wracking for sure.

Back